PDA

View Full Version : Recommended software - jKiwi

mihai007
September 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Hello. Me and my girlfriend just finished creating a .deb installation for our project, jKiwi.

It won the national open source contest here in Portugal, with Jon maddog Hall and Jono Bacon among others as members of the jury.

I recommend to try it, it's something different, funny to work with, and oh the ladies would love it for sure.
So what it does?
Hairstyling using your own photo and virtual makeup

Some screenshots from the webpage:

http://jkiwi.com/screenshots/medium/1.png

http://jkiwi.com/screenshots/medium/2.png

Check it out from www.jkiwi.com and of course all comments are welcome!

Polygon
September 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
very unique program! although i would never use it, looks interestering

pmlxuser
September 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
looks impressing i will try to sell it to some hair stylist in my country ;) just kidding

dixon
September 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
My girlfriend likes your software :) Anyway I'm kind of confused about the male hair cuts. Are they really male or am I too conservative?

Nepherte
September 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Congratulations. It's a very original idea.

mihai007
September 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
My girlfriend likes your software :) Anyway I'm kind of confused about the male hair cuts. Are they really male or am I too conservative?

Well male hair is a little harder to make so we have a smaller list there, we also invested more in female hair because the application is more female oriented, has all the other functions like eye shadow and so on.

Canis familiaris
September 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Well Done.
Now Linux is also ready for Beauty Parlours.

mihai007
September 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
We already managed to convince a hair styler to let us install Ubuntu with this software on a laptop so he could use it from time to time... :)

Vitamin-Carrot
September 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Why have you naed it after either the fruit or my countries national icon ... a flightless bird?

ad_267
September 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah I thought that was just coincidence but the icon is a kiwi too. Maybe it's because kiwis are sexy.

My sister liked this. I'll have to show it to my girlfriend and see what she thinks too.

Vitamin-Carrot
September 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I LOVE YOU ad_267

:lolflag:

ad_267
September 11th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hahahaha. Ok. I LOVE YOU TOO Vitamin-Carrot.

loell
September 11th, 2008, 11:21 PM
very interesting program! :) I wonder how I would look like with an afro hair :lolflag:

ad_267
September 11th, 2008, 11:59 PM
very interesting program! :) I wonder how I would look like with an afro hair :lolflag:

Haha just had to check there is an afro and there is. I'm a bit worried, this is kinda fun. You can draw on a mo too with the free draw.

loell
September 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Haha just had to check there is an afro and there is. I'm a bit worried, this is kinda fun. You can draw on a mo too with the free draw.

I must admit that I only saw the afro after writing the above post. :D

but did test the program just awhile ago, its still rough but that's expected.

suggestions( possible todo's) if I may, to the author/OP :)

1. image navigation via the arrow keys instead of the current arrow buttons
2. image navigation via mouse dragging?
3. dunno if this is possible, measure the head, to predetermine the hair size.

4. multiple selectable objects, be it cosmetics ie(makeup) or hair.

mihai007
September 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hello.
First let me tell you why the name "jKiwi"?
Well the idea came from my girlfriend who really loved this animation: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EFQ7vm4Nc8c and wanted to use the name so we added "j" which comes from java, it's a common thing to start java projects with the "j" letter. So that's about it...

In reply to the suggestions above...
are you talking about the fit image window? actually you can drag the image with your mouse over it. The buttons are there to make the final touch because are more precise in movements than with a mouse.

Measuring the head is actually possible, but didn't find a simple algorithm, all comes with a lot of dependencies...

Fell free to add suggestions, in the end this is all about it, you request things, we try to implement it and everyone's happy :)

SupaSonic
September 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
A nice app. I always wondered how I'd look with long hair. Well now I know.

P.S. Like a dork. :)

EdThaSlayer
September 12th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Pretty cool! :KS
The world of computers surely covers *every* aspect of life.

Can't wait to apply some hair to my gasmasky face! :)

brunovecchi
September 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Amazing application! I just had my half hour of stylish fun.
Thanks!

mihai007
September 15th, 2008, 01:29 AM
well yes, we have some afro hairs also but it's quite hard to create haircuts, and if someone has a clue how cut hair from a photo and change it's color using GIMP or any other software we will be glad to hear about it.

The main idea in creating those haircuts is to cut a celebrity hair from a photo (ex. red carpet photos) and after that change it's color into blond more or less, I'll attach a sample to see the final result...
(note that the hair is transparent in background, not white)

ad_267
September 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
So is there a simple way to add new hairstyles to the application if we have a png like that?

mihai007
September 17th, 2008, 12:15 AM
yes, after having an image like that (also in that tones of colors because of the algorythms used to change hairstyle color) the next step is to create the highlites by selecting some line from the hair in a new layer and then create a xml file to place it in the application's folder.
I didn't have time to create a simple application that creates the xml files from the images in the right format, right now I only have a command line Java class that just works.

The main problem is creating a png like that one...

loell
September 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
have you thought of using SVGs instead of PNGs?

Tomosaur
September 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
This is a great application - my sister will love it - thanks! She's one of those who is always messing about with their hair :P

mihai007
September 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
have you thought of using SVGs instead of PNGs?

Well yes but it is very difficult to draw hair in vectorial format and it will start to look too artificial when using it in jkiwi.
And oh yes I don't know how to use Inkscape that good to draw something so complicated as hair...

But thanks for the suggestion :)

binbash
September 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
it is an unique software, i was looking for this kind of software.I am downloading right now.But i hate the java part

mihai007
September 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
why is that? even if it's java the gnome version I think is very good integrated with the desktop, and if the software is slow that's more a problem of the programmer ( that's me :) ) and not java itself...

dawnfairie
September 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
jkiwi is a great application, if you are looking for a new style, or just play with a friends picture!!!:):)

tgm4883
November 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Tried running this on Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit and it doesn't start (The splash screen comes up, then closes after a few seconds of loading things). Starting from the command line gives me this

thomas@hermes:~$ jkiwi
java.lang.ClassCastException: java/lang/Long
at utils.GtkStockIconSWT.createImage(GtkStockIconSWT. java:120)
at utils.StockIcon.getGTKImageData(StockIcon.java:275 )
at utils.StockIcon.getIcon(StockIcon.java:161)
at core.MainWindow.createSShell(MainWindow.java:227)
at core.MainWindow.<init>(MainWindow.java:200)
at core.Loader$Worker$3.run(Loader.java:495)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessa ges(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(U nknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Un known Source)
at core.Loader.main(Loader.java:235)
Exception in thread "main" org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.ImageData.<init>(Unknown Source)
at utils.GtkStockIconSWT.createImage(GtkStockIconSWT. java:155)
... 4 more
thomas@hermes:~$

olejorgen
November 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Yet another original/nice/cool project heads up :)

mihai007
November 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Tried running this on Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit and it doesn't start (The splash screen comes up, then closes after a few seconds of loading things). Starting from the command line gives me this

Well from your signature "What works in 32-bit also works in 64-bit. Anyone that says otherwise is a liar " ironically I think that my application doesn't behave the same in 64 bits :roll:

The problem is that I don't have any 64bit cpu so is very hard to certify builds on this platform. I'll do a custom build today and post it here so you can test it, if it works I'll try to update the release.

Thank you for the report.

T-AA
November 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
lol the girlfriend wants to try it so i guess i'll get it.

Oh and congrats on winning the contest

PartisanEntity
November 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I was looking for something like this last year for my wife, I think she will have some fun with it :) Thanks for the effort mihai007.

mihai007
November 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM

thomas@hermes:~$ jkiwi
java.lang.ClassCastException: java/lang/Long
at utils.GtkStockIconSWT.createImage(GtkStockIconSWT. java:120)
Exception in thread "main" org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid
at utils.GtkStockIconSWT.createImage(GtkStockIconSWT. java:155)
... 4 more
thomas@hermes:~$

Thomas could you please try the .jar file I generated and attached here to see if it fixes it?

I think I was doing trying to put three long values into three integers values that are smaller :)

You just download the and extract the .jar file and put it into /usr/share/jkiwi/bin (replace the original)
Oh I think you need admin rights to do that.
Please post here if this version works...

Thank you.

tgm4883
November 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Thomas could you please try the .jar file I generated and attached here to see if it fixes it?

I think I was doing trying to put three long values into three integers values that are smaller :)

You just download the and extract the .jar file and put it into /usr/share/jkiwi/bin (replace the original)
Oh I think you need admin rights to do that.
Please post here if this version works...

Thank you.

Works great. See what works in i386 does work in amd64 ;)

Is this going to be in the repos for 9.04?

mihai007
November 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Works great. See what works in i386 does work in amd64 ;)

Is this going to be in the repos for 9.04?

Glad to hear that!
About the 9.04 repos... I am working on it, I think it can be done :)

Scot_Bernard
April 10th, 2009, 01:22 AM
yes, after having an image like that (also in that tones of colors because of the algorythms used to change hairstyle color) the next step is to create the highlites by selecting some line from the hair in a new layer and then create a xml file to place it in the application's folder.
I didn't have time to create a simple application that creates the xml files from the images in the right format, right now I only have a command line Java class that just works.

The main problem is creating a png like that one...
Could you tell me what applications/tools you use to make the hairstyles? I want to make new ones. If there is a java class could you also provide it? The application is great, and the only thing that needs to be complete is more hairstyles. Users like me with the guidelines possibly can contribute submitting extra hairstyles to expand the choices.
Thanks, Scot.

mihai007
April 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Could you tell me what applications/tools you use to make the hairstyles? I want to make new ones. If there is a java class could you also provide it? The application is great, and the only thing that needs to be complete is more hairstyles. Users like me with the guidelines possibly can contribute submitting extra hairstyles to expand the choices.
Thanks, Scot.

Sorry for the late reply, right now I'm writing my thesis so until summer it will be hard to find some time for the project, but as a quick answer:

The tool used for the hair was GIMP (maybe photoshop is easier but don't plan to pay so much for a license).
The workflow:
cut the hair from the photo, make it as blond as possible, cut some shapes in a different image just for the highlites, add some shadow to the hair also in a new image and create the xml.

If you look under the folder containing the xml hairs (resources/hairstyles/) you can see that images inside the XML are encoded in base64, so you could use any base64 code to decode them and save the result as png's and see our images created by gimp.

Just open one xml hair in Firefox for example, copy/paste the base64 code in a new file (abc.txt), use the base64 -d abc.txt > abc.png command in linux to decode it into a png. Repeat the process for the other images in the XML file. To create the XML from images just invert the process.

binbash
April 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Is the project dead ? The current version is 0.9.5, released on Set 07, 2007

Pasdar
April 15th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Awesome idea, I'm going to give it a try later today.

mihai007
April 15th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Is the project dead ? The current version is 0.9.5, released on Set 07, 2007

You just found a typo, it should be "2008". No, it's not dead, just hard to find free time for the project, but hey... summer is comming ;)

EDIT: Fixed, now it says "Set 07, 2008".

mihai007
April 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
WOW... we just made it onto baixaki.com.br front page!
They usually have 400k visits/day so it gave a big boost to our download counter :)

racoq
April 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
WOW... we just made it onto baixaki.com.br front page!
They usually have 400k visits/day so it gave a big boost to our download counter :)

Mihay its the peopleware effect ;) brazilians are curious about our site :D

Don't forget do keep releasing newer versions, with great power comes great responsability :D

mihai007
April 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I hope that in the following weeks I find a little time to make a tutorial on how to create more hairstyles from normal photos.
This way I hope we could significantly increase the available hairstyles in the next version.

Stay tuned.

P.S: if there is someone with way too much free time and want to help in this open source project, but don't have programming skills we would really appreciate some help in translating the manuals in other languages.

frodon
May 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I downloaded it a month ago, i can't tell you how much me and my girlfriend have had fun with you software.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful project.