PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Ubuntu Laptops

zephyrcat
September 11th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I am looking at getting a laptop with Ubuntu. I would prefer it if Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) came pre-installed, but that is not a requirement.

I do want all of the hardware (including any webcams, fingerprint readers, microphones, etc.) to work.

I am currently looking at the Dell XPS M1530 with Ubuntu or the Dell Latitude E6500. The HP dv5t also seems to be getting good reviews.

I am almost certainly looking for a 15" model (although 14" might be close enough). Screen resolution is a big deal, which is why the Dells are so appealing.

Other than that, good specifications, good design, bluetooth, a webcam, and any extras (such as a backlit keyboard or fingerprint reader) would be nice.

Thanks!

OutOfReach
September 11th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Take a look at System76 (http://system76.com/) they sell preinstalled Ubuntu laptops, too.

I would suggest looking for a laptop with Intel graphics cards, since they work well with Linux.

zephyrcat
September 11th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I have looked at System 76 quite a bit, my previous concern was that, although their laptops came with fingerprint readers, they were apparently not compatible. It appears that, at least on one model, they have fixed that (or else I was not looking hard enough before.)

I will definetly keep those in mind. Thanks!

I am still curious about the Dells, though.

in-dust-rial
September 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
hi,
i was thinking of laptops all the time... but then bought a desktop :) and keept my old trashy laptop.
anyways, what i see around is that there are some IBM sweries like 60p are sold on 700 which is quite a cheap price for a business thinkpad.
tweakings for ubuntu on it would be easy to find in thinkpad-wikies.
otherwise i would even go for the cheapoer ubuntu dell laptops (500)...

think of it, you by two laptops for cheap money in the same time you would buy one expensive. also the technologie in such higher quality and service provider (some people say ibm & dell,... imho too) is common used and some days older, and therefore most probably allready working in linux. (even BSD)

my overall impression is: to go for under 800 on a common used platform from a wide-spread and good guarantee service provider is the best idea.

-the risk of damage and theft is lowered with cheaper price
-good service and long guarentee prevents uneasy days with broken hardware
(even think of IBMs magic restore button)
-may be wide speared platforms ammoung developers.
-good keyboard and non mainstream display (so who needs a mirror in his laptop?), which is the most important in the laptop business since this is what is between you and the shell (therefore your way to the kernel)
-you save some money against more expensive models and may buy a desktop
(with massive speed and strength... and the easy upgrade possibilities)
-maybe you should think about a netbook(big enough keyboard) and save the money for some GSM / UMTS flatrate to exchange data with your other machines => most possible mobility and massive soupport from linux community.

for me dell seems to be a solid way to go, but 1000 for a laptop
(Dell XPS M1530 with Ubuntu or the Dell Latitude E6500)
is a decision, which should be soupported by DIRECT rquirements!
and 200 is a lot money saved if you decide to buy 800 (which is not so much of a performance loss, but avoiding mainstream offers to get some ppl poor.

-sry if i was overdrawing sometiomes (netbooks are not a substitution for a 1000 laptop)
but i hope you see that its not necessarily cheap to buy 1000 bugs laptop
if you dont need that "little-bit" extra power.
but its maybe a good decision to buy a well used and prooved series in its old mature days, when its price is low and save some money and make the decision easier...

good luck
p.s.:
still keyboard and display should be issue number one followed by connectivity - or do you have special tasks to do?

in-dust-rial
September 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
hi, again

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=888704

good luck

zephyrcat
September 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am now looking mostly at the Dell XPS M1530 and the System 76 Pangolin Performance. I am leaning towards the Dell. My main concerns are the design of the System 76 (appears to be pretty generic looking) and the placement of the fingerprint reader. If anyone owns either, I would love to know their take.

My other question is if it matters if I get a 7200 RPM or 5400 RPM hard drive? Is the speed difference noticeable?

Thanks!

pauljw
September 14th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I just took delivery of my Dell Studio 1535 and I love it. My primary linux distro is PCLOS but because I feel that Dell shouild be rewarded for taking the risk of providing pre-installed linux on some of their systems, I'm happily using Ubuntu 8.04. Everything works! My system doesn't have the fingerprint reader, but it does have the built in webcam, and is the 15.4" screen size.

bomanizer
September 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Look at the sig below ;) I'm a happy fan of the Thinkpad + Ubuntu combo. Over here (Finland) some wholesaler buy old, but unused laptop batches and make them available to consumers. These batches are usually meant for enterprise customers, but sometimes end up unused. My R50 was made sometime in 2003-2004 and has been gathering dust until one of these wholesalers picked these up. I basically got an good-as-new TP for a price like 50%-off the list price. Shweeet....

So my advice would be to hunt down these robin-hood-like wholesalers.

zephyrcat
September 16th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I am about to go ahead an buy a Dell XPS M1530 with Ubuntu. I have one last question, though:

Last Ubuntu release, Dell took a long time to start shipping systems with the new release. If I buy a Dell laptop now with 8.04, when 8.10 comes out, will I be able to upgrade immediately without losing DVD playback and the other modifications Dell makes?

Thanks!

deijsman
September 16th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I HIGHLY recommend a Lenovo thinkpad. I've used the x61s and T series with great success!

uberdonkey5
September 16th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Hey zephyrcat, well.. I really like the dell laptop I bought. I just think the components are good quality and dependable. Might be a bit pricier. Whatever you buy will eventually be out dated, but getting a more modern model will mean that it'll perform adequately for longer. Its great to support these preinstalls. Unfortunately when I bought my dell I couldn't get the model I wanted with Ubuntu on as a preinstall. However it was very quick to fix the drivers (just microphone problem I think, basically recording volume was turned down). I am certain that the preinstall will work well with all the components. Been running ubuntu for year now on it and it works a dream.

Good luck with your choice.

uberdonkey5
September 16th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I am about to go ahead an buy a Dell XPS M1530 with Ubuntu. I have one last question, though:

Last Ubuntu release, Dell took a long time to start shipping systems with the new release. If I buy a Dell laptop now with 8.04, when 8.10 comes out, will I be able to upgrade immediately without losing DVD playback and the other modifications Dell makes?

Thanks!

he he he. Who knows??? Have to find out when you upgrade. Again though, I never had any problems with Dell when I upgraded from gutsy to hardy. Indeed I find the DVD playback less temperamental than windows (dual boot).

P.S. if the laptop is for regular travelling around it is quite pricey. Dropping or getting a laptop stolen is a bit rough if it is expensive. My laptop tends to stay at home in my apartment (got laptop since it was easy to take on plane when I left UK) and I use eee pc for internet and travelling because it is so cheap and durable.

zephyrcat
September 16th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I am curious why everyone thinks the ThinkPads are so great? I know they are well known as business machines, but what exactly are the benefits for consumers?

Plus, they just stopped offering Linux:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17914_1-10040846-89.html

I am not ruling them out, I am just curious what their advantages are.

Thanks!

zephyrcat
September 17th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I am just about to order an XPS M1530, unless anyone has any other ideas.

bigbrovar
September 17th, 2008, 03:12 AM
go for it .. i order for my dell xps m1330 last friday .. would have loved to have the 1530 .. but nvidia makes me nervous esp the 8 series cards.my last laptop had it and it was hell .but the 1530 comes wth only nivdia so i went for the smaller 1330 .. you could also try the dell studio ..

bomanizer
September 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I am curious why everyone thinks the ThinkPads are so great? I know they are well known as business machines, but what exactly are the benefits for consumers?

OTOH pros:

+ Superior keyboard. I sometimes find this keyboard better than some on desktop PCs.
+ Hardware is easily upgradeable and replaceable (ultrabay!). The system hard-drive can be taken out in, like, seconds (powered down, of course..)

Of course, the recent upgrade to Hardy brought some problems... (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/242638)

Paerez
September 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I got the DV5T over labor day weekend. Had a 30% off coupon so I got an awesome deal.

The 5100 wireless and graphics had trouble in hardy, so I went for intrepid, which got everything going beautifully. The inifinity screen looks amazing (if you don't mind reflections). I love the soft and large keys.

It gets a bit warm because I don't think that compiz is gentle on the graphics card, so it never clocks down.

zephyrcat
September 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM
I just ordered it. I will let you know how it goes!

tigrezno
September 21st, 2008, 10:56 PM
hey zephy, i own a dell xps1330 with ubuntu preinstalled (they offered 7.10) so i upgraded.

don't upgrade with the system updater since the final result is crap.
Insert your ubuntu 8.10 cdrom and install from zero. That's my advice.

All works ok and battery life for 6 cells is up to 4 hours.

czz7661
October 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I got the DV5T over labor day weekend. Had a 30% off coupon so I got an awesome deal.

The 5100 wireless and graphics had trouble in hardy, so I went for intrepid, which got everything going beautifully. The inifinity screen looks amazing (if you don't mind reflections). I love the soft and large keys.

It gets a bit warm because I don't think that compiz is gentle on the graphics card, so it never clocks down.

Have the same model, everything seems okay in 8.10 except the kill switch for the wireless can shut it off but not bring it back up and I'm having return from suspend issues, which may be an acpi problem.