PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Extracting and Using Icons in Wine

anachronon
September 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I have a couple Windows programs that I am using under Wine. I want to extract the Windows Icons, so that I can access those Wine programs directly from my desktop, as I would in Windows.

I have been directed to use "icoutils". However, after much searching for instructions, I am left frustrated. So far, all of the directions have been as clear as mud. Can someone talk me through this?

To this point, I have used apt-get to install icoutils. Next, I have made a copy of the .exe file that I wish to search in my home directory. Using "wrestool", I have searched that .exe file, and located the icons.

That is as far as I got. There are over a hundred icons alone. Which do I choose? How do I specify the one I want? What do I do with it then? etc

anachronon
September 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Update: I have found a way to extract the icons that I need, directly from the original Windows application:

$ wrestool -x --output=. -t14 ~/.wine/drive_c/(PATH)/(FILENAME).exe

This gave me about 40 .ico files in my home folder. From there, I used this loop routine to convert to .png:

for i in *.ico; do convert "$i" "$i.png"; done

So now, I have a total of 160 icon files in my home folder (40 .ico and 120 .png). My next question is, how do I select the icon that I want, move it to my desktop, and link it to the .exe file.

I will keep looking for more info, and post what I find. Meanwhile, does anyone have any tips?

Endolith
January 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I'd like to make this automatic. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgnomeui/+bug/292504