PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] any streaming TV application??

faraz_k86
September 11th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Is there any application that allows me to watch all of the online channels via my broadband??

thanks

swegner
September 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM
It depends on what exactly you're looking for. To watch video podcasts for an assortment of different websites, Miro is a great program. If you have a TV tuner for your computer, MythTV does an excellent job as a desktop media center.

Does this answer your question?

RequinB4
September 11th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I don't understand - Besides what was said above about MythTV, any browser-based TV application that works in windows will work in ubuntu provided you have the correct multimedia plugins. Eg install flash and youtube, hulu, wb, etc works.

faraz_k86
September 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM
ive tried Miro, its no good. I want live TV, whereas miro first downloads the shows and then shows it, i want to watch live channels over the internet.

and is there any application that can do this?

for example a streaming live tv channel will be http://www.geo.tv/geoip/

swegner
September 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
As RequinB4 mentioned above, most browser-based TV websites will be available on Linux just as Windows. You can use Firefox, which will also require Flash to play. For Flash, there are a few different options, but I recommend Adobe Flash (flash-nonfree), as it is currently the most stable.

There will also be some websites that are only viewable on Windows. This is due to other Windows-specific technologies like Silverlight and other DRM'ed plugins. For example, NBC's olympic coverage wasn't viewable on Linux. There aren't currently any workarounds for these websites, except perhaps to boot into Windows or run it in a virtual machine.