PDA

View Full Version : [other] Acer BIOS advanced tab password

gladstone
September 11th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I have an Acer laptop with a Phoneix 4.0 release 6.1 BIOS.

The problem I have is that I cannot access the advanced tab of the BIOS. It say's "please contact your supervisor to change these settings". I can enter the BIOS as usual otherwise.

Heres a snippet of the original email I sent Acer:

A [Video] showing logging into the BIOS using the supervisor password, switching to the Advanced Tab, which is completly blanked out and displays a message saying system is logged in in "user mode".
I then switch to the security tab to confirm user password is cleared and a supervisor password is set.

And this is their response:

> Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.
> Regarding your enquiry,
> We are able to re-set your BIOS password for you.
> Unfortunately this problem is not covered by the warranty and would be classed as a chargeable repair.
> The cost of the BIOS reset is £50. This will cover the collection of your computer by our courier, shipping to our repair centre, and time for a technician to resolve your problem. We will complete the work as quickly as possible and will deliver your machine back to you once the issue has been resolved.
> If you would like to book your machine in for a BIOS reset, please let us know and we will make the necessary arrangements.
> Regards
> Steven
> Acer Technical Support Team

£50 for a password I never even set!

I have tried CmosPwd (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd) with it, but I don't think this is the problem because I can already enter the BIOS, just not the advanced tab.

I was going to try the "kill" CMOS option, but noticed not to do this on Laptops.

Any ideas?