PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Editing GRUB in KDE

gingerj
September 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to edit GRUB in Kubuntu, first I tried the old command that I used in Ubuntu:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then that failed not realising gedit was exclusive to gnome (although thinking about it the "g" was the give away).

So I searched my application for a text editor and found kate so I typed the following:

sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

Which outputs the following message:
sudo: kate: command not found

So how do I edit grub?

gingerj
September 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have also used kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

This brings up an alert saying "command not found!"

Shazaam
kdesu kate or kdesudo kate might work.

SuperSonic4
have you tried
kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst. kdesu is the KDE equivalent of gksudo and used for running GUI apps. The only other thing I can think of is to replace kate with kwrite or to open kate/kwrite as root and open /boot/grub/menu.lst

aysiu
September 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM
You should never use
sudo kate ever.

kdesu is the way to go for graphical applications. Are you running Kubuntu with KDE 4, by chance? For some reason, the paths to certain applications (like Kate) isn't added for the root user in KDE 4.

caljohnsmith
September 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Check if you have kate:

which kate
If that shows "/usr/bin/kate" you've got it (at least that's where it is in KDE 3.5, not sure if it is in the same location in KDE4). If you don't, you can install it with:

sudo apt-get install kate
And if for some reason kate is not in your root user's path, you can always run it with:

kdesu /path/to/kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
Where "/path/to/kate" is what you got from the "which kate" command.

aysiu
September 10th, 2008, 11:37 PM
This link may help you out:
How to use Konqueror or Kate as sudo in Kubuntu KDE 4 Remix (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/how-to-use-konqueror-or-kate-as-sudo-in-kubuntu-kde-4-remix/)

frklin
September 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KGRUBEditor?content=75442 :idea:

gingerj
September 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Many thanks all, I have resolved my issue with editing GRUB.

The trick was using the "which" command as the file path was different, once I manually put the file path into the kdesu cmd it worked first time.

Cheers again! (mods can close)