PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Audio over ssh

CryptiniteDemon
September 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
okay, so currently I use something like this to stream audio over SSH,

ssh: cat "music.mp" | mpg123 -

And it works fine when I connect through putty on my one windows computer at home. Audio streams and plays fine.

However, when I'm at work, the audio streams, but I can never get the audio to actually come over my speakers.

What's up with this?

rsambuca
September 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Have you tried sshfs to mount the remote files to a local directory?

CryptiniteDemon
September 11th, 2008, 02:43 AM
No, but why would audio play on one computer and not the other if I'm using the same interface program?

CryptiniteDemon
September 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Wow, I just realized that I'm a moron.

The audio I was playing was coming from the source computer. My computers are in the same room, so I didn't realize that the sound was coming out of my other set of speakers.

Stupid me.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get audio to come out of the remote pc.

rsambuca
September 11th, 2008, 03:54 AM
LOL! So I'm not the only one that has done that!!! I was trying to set up my laptop to access my desktop via ssh, and when I played the music, I thought everything was working perfectly. It was only the next day when I wasn't sitting with my laptop on my home computer desk that I realized the music wasn't coming out of the laptop!

Try installing sshfs on your remote computer.
Create a directory on it so you can mount your server directory to it. Then execute the following to mount it:
sshfs user@host:directory mountpoint. You can then just open nautilus or whatever file browser you are using, and it is as if the directory is on your remote computer. I do this for my music files and play them through rhythmbox.

CryptiniteDemon
September 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hmm, I'm trying to make it where it's universal type of access. That way I can access it from either a windows machine or a linux machine if I want.

Mostly this all comes from me trying to get access to my stuff through a proxy server because it doesn't block ssh connections.

gvartser
September 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Or check out www.kplaylist.net.

Awesome music php script allowing you to share the whole of your mp3 collection onto the web then accessible to you everywhere.

I have used this since 2003 and i can highly recommend it.

/g