PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] intel 915GM drivers

guesswho
September 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM
hi all. i've just installed ubuntu on my laptop which has an intel 915GM graphics card....
in searching around i noticed that people have been having a lot of trouble getting it to work with ubuntu...wondering if someone can help me out.

i have the drivers installed (boxes are green when i open synaptic package manager and search for i915).
however, system -> administration -> hardware drivers says no propietary drivers are in use...which means my comp is not using the drivers.

compiz and other things are running very choppily...i would greatly appreciate any help. thanks.

Titan8990
September 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Intel doesn't make proprietary Linux drivers for their integrated chipsets.

I would consider Compiz out of the question.

Tom--d
September 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Intel doesn't make proprietary Linux drivers for their integrated chipsets.

I would consider Compiz out of the question.

What?!

Intel make OPEN SOURCE drivers for Linux with 3D support. I have the 965 chip set using the i915 driver. Works Perfectly with Compiz and 3D games!

This means your graphics card will work out of the box!

guesswho
September 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
my card isn't working out of the box though...that's the prob...the drivers installed automatically, but the system isn't using those drivers...it's still using like the basic ones or whatever

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Strange, my intel card is the same as yours and works perfectly.
what version of ubuntu are you using and what are your full computer specs?

Crafty Kisses
September 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I'd like to see the results of this command:

glxinfo

SunnyRabbiera
September 10th, 2008, 11:10 PM
It might even be a monitor issue, I know I had to tweak my monitor settings once to get my system to work properly under gutsy...
But that was gusty, didnt have that issue under hardy.