PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI all-in-wonder

fred_miller
September 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I have an older computer up in my shop and it has an older ATI all-in-wonder card, a rage IIC 8meg AGP to be more exact. It works fine in win 98 and 2000, but I am trying to run hardy on it now and it's a bit slow, 933 P3 with 512 ram, but it runs and does plenty other than no TV, which is it's biggest reason for being. Is there software to get the tv working in Ubuntu? Any links would be appreciated. I searched the forum for ati AND tv but didn't see anything relevant. Wonder got no hits. Thanks, Fred

markbuntu
September 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM
ATI does not support the all-in-wonder cards TV feature with their proprietary linux drivers. I believe it has something to do with getting IP clearance from the company that wrote the code for that. It is an unfortunate situation that has become a trap for many older ati cards.

On a positive note, ATI has moved away from the use of IP that they are not the sole owners of so this issue is not a problem for their newer cards and will not be a problem in the future.

It is probable that someone is working to reverse engineer these cards, you can try widening your search.

tweakedenigma
September 11th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Markbuntu is right about this card, but have you tried using TVtime just to see if you get anything?

fred_miller
September 12th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I will leave win98 on it too as that old card makes better avis and mpgs from my analog camcorder than the new usb tv card i also have.