PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get new desktop themes

duquer
September 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
i just recently took vista off my computer and replaced it with ubuntu. im learning very fast.i was trying to get new themes for my desktop but i have no clue on how to do. i have tried to use emerald theme manager but it never lets me pulled up the theme that was download. alot of people in other threads say something about gnome. is there any updates or anyhting else in the package manager that i need to install. if so i will. but what is the process of using them on your desktop or using the software to add it to your themes. i have been trying to install the MAC desktop theme and the blue emerald desktop theme. if anyon ewho can briefly explain it to me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
duquer

wolfen69
September 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
go to www.gnome-look.org alot of the themes there you can just take the file and drag and drop it into system>preferences>appearance>themes window. post back if you have any problems.

mewithafez
September 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Right-click on the desktop and you will get something that says "Change System Background". That pulls up a tabbed preferences thing you can also find under system-preferences-appearance in the menu on the top panel.

The tab farthest to the left is all of the themes you have, and it has a button that says "Install". You can install any theme like one from gnome-look.org or whatever that comes at as .tar.gz, so you could install Elegant Brit by selecting elegant-brit.tar.gz. Alternatively, you can just drag that file to the window with all of the themes and it will install it automatically.

Let me know how this works!

Orwell
September 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'd recommend getting Gnome-Art Next Gen. It's a very user-friendly program that allows you to totally customize your Desktop...everything from the wallpaper to application windows to your splash screen!

Get it HERE (http://developer.berlios.de/projects/gnomeartng/). Select 'packages' to download and then simply run it once it's downloaded. The program will then appear in Applications>System Tools

Cheers!

duquer
September 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
i just wanted to say thank you to everyones help. i will try everything when i get home from work today and let you know how things went. cause i mainly just want to change my borders and have the the mac theme with the selections at the bottom

Rayaz
September 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Try this site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin for a really cool desktop!

acidsolution
September 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Better install ubuntu studio theme rather than others coz installing emerald gave me problem somethimes ..

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop

this looks good for me :)

duquer
September 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
when i download links like for themes, where do or how do you install the files

rmockler
September 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Message #3 above from mewithafez explains this perfectly.

ooobuntooo
September 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
when i download links like for themes, where do or how do you install the files

right click >Change desktop background>Themes drag and drop.

billgoldberg
September 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Do yourself a favor and use my customization guide.

The link is in my signature.

It will explain everything you need to know about the subject.

duquer
September 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM
yes that is what i am having problems with downloading and installing the emerald themes. does anyone know what advance setting option makes all your pages transparent.

ellalan
September 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi
Thanks a lot for introducing "ubuntu studio", its absolutely wonderful.

ellalan
September 14th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hi
I have downloaded a theme from www.gnome-look but when I dragged the file I get an error message. I couldn't install any theme from gnome-look,could someone help me please. I am on Hardy Heron 8.04. TIA.

ellalan
September 16th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hi
I am glad to have found out the answer to my inquiry and would like to share with you all.
I have tried to install the "New Human" theme( I thing its for the Ibex),anyway to install any themes downloaded to the Desktop, we have to extract the tar.gz file using "Archive Manager", then in the location area we have to type "/.themes". Now the theme can be viewed by going to System->Preferences->Appearance.
I hope this will be helpful to someone in future. I am really Thankful to ubuntu for the opportunity to learn more new stuff.

billgoldberg
September 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hi
I am glad to have found out the answer to my inquiry and would like to share with you all.
I have tried to install the "New Human" theme( I thing its for the Ibex),anyway to install any themes downloaded to the Desktop, we have to extract the tar.gz file using "Archive Manager", then in the location area we have to type "/.themes". Now the theme can be viewed by going to System->Preferences->Appearance.
I hope this will be helpful to someone in future. I am really Thankful to ubuntu for the opportunity to learn more new stuff.

Yes, that's where the themes are located.

It was in the guide, guess you didn't read it.

ellalan
September 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, that's where the themes are located.

It was in the guide, guess you didn't read it.

My sincere apology for not following your guide carefully, as you can see from my previous post I didn't unpack the .tar.gz file(may be overwhelmed by the excitement of the new theme).