PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] How do I mount my windows hard-drive?

ferral-cat
September 10th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Hi There I recently installed Xubuntu 8.04

I have Xubuntu installed on my second sata hdd

I Windows XP on my first Sata hdd.

Please help. Last time I installed linux (on a different computer) it did all this for me automatically but now when I go to /mnt/ directory there is nothing there.

wolfen69
September 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
does it show up in /media ?

bobnutfield
September 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
As Wolfen69 has suggested, it should automatically show up in media, but you can verify that it is being recognized by running:

sudo fdisk -l

If all is well, it will be listed probably as /dev/sda with the first partition as /dev/sda1. If it is, you can mount it manually, to test it, then if you want it to be mounted automatically at boot time, you can add it to your /etc/fstab file. To mount it manually, try:

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt #assuming that /dev/sda1 is your correct Windows partition.

acidsolution
September 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
if your windows partition is ntfs than you have to shutdown windows properly before mounting drive in ubuntu .
Hibernating windows won't allow the mounting of ntfs partition in Ubuntu.

ferral-cat
September 10th, 2008, 07:02 PM
does it show up in /media ?

no there is nothing there except cdrom

ferral-cat
September 10th, 2008, 07:05 PM
if your windows partition is ntfs than you have to shutdown windows properly before mounting drive in ubuntu .
Hibernating windows won't allow the mounting of ntfs partition in Ubuntu.

Thank you for this tip. Fortuantely in my case I had properly shutdown the Windows last time.

tangibleorange
September 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM
could you please post the output of:

ls /dev/sd*

(if it's still not working)

ferral-cat
September 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
As Wolfen69 has suggested, it should automatically show up in media, but you can verify that it is being recognized by running:

If all is well, it will be listed probably as /dev/sda with the first partition as /dev/sda1. If it is, you can mount it manually, to test it, then if you want it to be mounted automatically at boot time, you can add it to your /etc/fstab file. To mount it manually, try:

#assuming that /dev/sda1 is your correct Windows partition.

Thanks bobnutfield,

That solved my problem. Im glad u advised me to run the command
sudo fdisk -l

Glad u told me to run that first because it is actually sda2 that is my Windows partition.

ferral-cat
September 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Wow you guys are really smart. How the heck do u memorize the syntax of all these commands at the bash prompt?

The only one I know by heart is

df -h

tangibleorange
September 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
hehe. you just pick them up as your browse the forums really, use them on your own machine, and then they tend to stick (at least for me...)

bobnutfield
September 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
It does take quite a while to get to the point the most used commands are second nature, but I used a reference book for about two years before I felt comfortable to count on my memory. A good one is one by O'Reilly called the "Linux Phrasebook."

pilarchen
October 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hi,
I'm also looking for help. My harddisk is also divided (windows/xubuntu) and the windows part is under media listed but I can't find my old files..... I don't know were they are now :confused:
A Friend of mine instaled Xubuntu yesterday and i was working perfect, but today I lost the both Panels (top und button), and now, when I got back them, I'm missing all my old files :(:(:(
what should i do??????