PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] question about reporting

cmay
September 10th, 2008, 05:30 PM
hi.
i have over the last few days reported more than one spam post and two post like this one. i reported whit message "please look at this".
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=915920
i seen and reported more spam and begin to see more of these strange first post with links in them asking for a survey or something like this post here. i want to ask honestly what happens if i report someone that should not have been reported by mistake. i am also worried about this matter as well. another thing is that i cant report anything as defined spam if i i do no not see clear advertising. what is this new kind of posts and is it the right way to report them i have done so far.

thanks for clarifying this for me.
also please move this post if it posted the wrong forums.

-grubby
September 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Generally new members don't advertise websites or blogs right away. Usually I report these if it's the users first post, but if they have a nice chunk of posts I don't. If you do report a post and it didnt' need to be reported, I wouldn't worry about it. Staff ultimately decide whta to do and I'm sure they're good at seeing what is spam and isn't - and can consult other staff if needed.

LaRoza
September 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
hi.
i have over the last few days reported more than one spam post and two post like this one. i reported whit message "please look at this".
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=915920
i seen and reported more spam and begin to see more of these strange first post with links in them asking for a survey or something like this post here. i want to ask honestly what happens if i report someone that should not have been reported by mistake. i am also worried about this matter as well. another thing is that i cant report anything as defined spam if i i do no not see clear advertising. what is this new kind of posts and is it the right way to report them i have done so far.

Reports are posts in a special forum which the staff monitor (boring, mostly full of mundane things). We see a new thread and read it (the report quotes the post, and has a few other things, like its subforum, the reporter's message, and the name of the poster).

We can post on these threads so if there is any doubt, we can have discussion on it. In that case, I saw it was a first post with possible spam (no sources, but email links and links to the same site) and closed it.

In the case of a report needing no action, we don't do anything. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes. Staff report often to get feedback on things in that forum when we aren't sure.

cmay
September 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
thanks for the reply . if someone post anything with an email adress in the first post i think its strange and that is also why i just ask staff to check it. as long as i do not get any trouble for reporting things that i think is doubtful i will continue doing so. should i just report with words spam please remove or where can i find forum guide lines on this?
edit.
while typing i seem to have got an anwser . thanks .

LaRoza
September 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
thanks for the reply . if someone post anything with an email adress in the first post i think its strange and that is also why i just ask staff to check it. as long as i do not get any trouble for reporting things that i think is doubtful i will continue doing so. should i just report with words spam please remove or where can i find forum guide lines on this?

The only time people get in trouble for reporting is if they do it excessively on purpose to annoy us, or a spammer reports something (yes, spammers try to spam the report button...).

For the words, you should keep it short (obviously) but describe the problem. So for a spam post just saying "spam" is enough. If you are not sure "possible spam" or something works fine.

For more complex issues, you should say a bit more.

The Guide to Forum Features (link in sig and is a sticky here) has a link about reporting.

cmay
September 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The only time people get in trouble for reporting is if they do it excessively on purpose to annoy us, or a spammer reports something (yes, spammers try to spam the report button...).

For the words, you should keep it short (obviously) but describe the problem. So for a spam post just saying "spam" is enough. If you are not sure "possible spam" or something works fine.

For more complex issues, you should say a bit more.

The Guide to Forum Features (link in sig and is a sticky here) has a link about reporting.
thanks i have also just used a short message form the times i reported.
i do not get any feedback however ut i see the post are closed or removed when checking for them later. i will also read this link in sig/sticky.
i just need to be sure what i was doing was the right way and i do not want to get in trouble myselve for being "guarddog" in the forums i have honestly reported post that was not what i thought it was at first. sorry.
but i think i have gotten the clarification on this. so thanks.i mark it as tread solved.

LaRoza
September 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
thanks i have also just used a short message form the times i reported.
i do not get any feedback however ut i see the post are closed or removed when checking for them later. i will also read this link in sig/sticky.
i just need to be sure what i was doing was the right way and i do not want to get in trouble myselve for being "guarddog" in the forums i have honestly reported post that was not what i thought it was at first. sorry.
but i think i have gotten the clarification on this. so thanks.i mark it as tread solved.

Most people don't get feedback on reports, they are dealt with silently.

Most people report, and some report more than others. You don't report as much as some people.

cmay
September 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM
You don't report as much as some people
i will try to check the forums for spammers twice a day from now on then:)
thanks for the replies.

Oldsoldier2003
September 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Most people don't get feedback on reports, they are dealt with silently.
As a side note I'd also like to point out (to the OP) that unless someone makes their infractions public by posting in the Resolution Center, there is a privacy concern. So that means that many reports will never see the light of day in order to protect the privacy of the parties concerned.

Most people report, and some report more than others. You don't report as much as some people
Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

pp.
September 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
You don't report as much as some people.

I will work harder.