PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pidgeon and internet connection

misswham
September 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I noticed 2 weeks ago that when using pidgin it disconnects itself sometimes and i have to open it up again also i will send a response and the poeple on the other end are getting it 10 secs later or some not at all. I also have been suffering from internet connection loss but my light on my modem is still solid. I also have a hard time now connecting to pidgin. Like today I had to open it up and close it a couple of times before it connected and it finally did then when I closed it for an hour and opened it back up it wouldnt. It just said connecting. Now my friends list is there but it never fully connected. I called comcast and they ran test and said my modem is getting signal. I went and exchanged it anyway, got a new one and the same thing is happening, I have also bypassed the router and have changed all ethernet cords. So i dont know what is going on but this just started 2 weeks ago. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

pzs
September 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Pidgin stopped connecting for me recently. I fixed it by doing Edit Account, selecting the Advanced tab and selecting "Use HTTP Method". Don't know if this will help you, but might be worth a try.

misswham
September 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
i went to advanced and when i clicked http it asked me for host and port i dont know what to do from there.

misswham
September 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
i just changed the gnome proxy to no proxy. what is proxy and did i do something that will mess it up?

acidsolution
September 10th, 2008, 07:05 PM
use no proxy option
this helped me :)

misswham
September 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
i changed everything to no proxy. i will see if this works. Does anyone have any ideas on the internet connection?

pzs
September 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The server and port depends on the kind of account you're using. For MSN (on my system, at least) it's:

server: messenger.hotmail.com
port: 1863

barbedsaber
September 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
my advice
ditch pidgin
try empathy

sudo apt-get install empathy

pidgin is getting more and more outdated, it works for some people, but excessive lag, and network dropouts made me switch.
I am not telling you that this will solve all your problems, but empathy (or something else) might just become your new favorite IM client.
Don't want to switch? by all means, wait for help here, it should be around withing the next few minutes.

misswham
September 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hi. I just installed empathy and it says no accts configured. to add a new acct you first have to install a backend for each protocol you want to use.

i dont know what this is.

can u tell me what a backend is and how do i install it. i have 2 yahoo id's, one aim, one msn and one google.

misswham
September 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
can anyone help me with the installation>

essexite
October 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM
can u tell me what a backend is and how do i install it. i have 2 yahoo id's, one aim, one msn and one google.

sudo apt-get install telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble telepathy-haze
Or, for all available protocols support:

sudo apt-get install telepathy-core