PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] software for newbies to ubuntu and linux

duquer
September 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
i just installed ubuntu 8.04 about two weeks ago.i have istalled the advance settings, frostwire and things of that nature. but i trying to really get a feel for linux. i want to learn things that i can do with linux. i am a very fast learn and it did not take me long at out to figure out how to get somethings working. i was curious to everone opinion is there any updates or software or anything in the package manager that i should install extra. anything that i dont know about that can help me learn more. or make my system run a little bit better.or even looka little bit better. i would appreciate and be thankful for everyones input.
thank you,
duquer

hyper_ch
September 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
well, you could enable the additional repos like universe and multiverse and partner... maybe add medibuntu also...

then you could install more codecs and other sutff.

Dougie187
September 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If you want to learn stuff, the best command line tool for learning is man.

If you have an idea of something you want to do like lets say remove a file or something, in a teminal you can type

man -k remove
It will give you a list of all the commands on your system (with man pages) the have the word your looking for in their description.

duquer
September 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM
thank you now those repros where would i haft to go to enable them and what do they do?

wolfen69
September 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
the Medibuntu repos are here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

also, go to system>administration>software sources and make sure they are all checked off.

thank you now those repros where would i haft to go to enable them and what do they do?

adding repos will give you the ability to add additional software that would not be available otherwise.