PDA

View Full Version : How is linux being received by the masses

cjnkns
September 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone -

I am curious how the linux pre-install market is doing for linux?

In the news today I saw on linuxtoday.com that says leenvo (sp) is getting out of the linux pre-install business.

Just curious if anyone has any information or thoughts....

ooobuntooo
September 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
In the UK a lot of sub-notebooks like the Asus EEE and the Acer Aspire One are being shipped with Linux and a simple GUI.

Ubuntu is also being shipped on the Elonex WebBook at The Carphone Warehouse which will be sold to customers as part of a mobile broadband contract.

testLED
September 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I often wondered how this would pan out.

I like Linux probably for all the wrong reasons. I work in telecoms and all the servers are linux based. However I like the complexity of it and acheiveing something on linux only adds to my knowledge of it. I would like to see it more in pre-install. My only critism would be that the interface of most distro's could do with a facelift somwhat as windows is pretty for want of a better word and very plug and playable. The issue is computers need to be easy as more and more kids are using them to talk to thier freind who live 2 streets away and grampa joe who wants to talk to his 20 year old son who has just moved to Australia just wants to click next, next,next,next to get his web cam to work. Not go through endless commands try and get drivers loaded etc.

That said it wouldn't have to be like that if more people started selling pre install more companies would develop software to work both OS.

Joeb454
September 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Moved to Community Cafe :)

MaverickCoast
September 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
If you read my post above "What's the deal breaker for (potential) new users of Linux?", I believe the issue is obviously the ease of moving over to Linux from Windows and what programs are available for Linux. :confused:

Until Linux overcomes these two issues in the mind of PC users, Windows will continue to dominate.

Mav

amersault
September 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
i think running into conversion problems scares most people away and the potential of not knowing what to do if something doesn't work can be off-putting. it's more the safety factor of using programs that they're used to that will keep them tied to MS & Co.

case and point: when i first migrated, i started w/ FF 07. everything worked fine, except the WiFi and no amt of MadWifi or ndiswrapper could save me. i then reblessed to Ubuntu and had no problems after. but i have to say, as a first time Linux user on Fedora, it was frustrating not getting things to work properly the 1st time. asking ppl to install/run apps via Terminal is also something that would intimidate most folks; why type a line when something launches on the rival OS by point and click?

also, having diff flavors of Linux can be confusing, and having to self-install various drivers can scare the beejebus out of them. just my $0.02!

testLED
September 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have a similar issue regarding wifi. I have installed ubuntu 8 that comes with the drivers but after 3 days still no internet on that machine. Apart from the issues with people liking point and click if this was an important machine I could not have waited and reverted back to windows

Also as I have said in the previous post Linux distro's are very basic in visual department. I personally can live with it but I have heard people use the phrase..." will it always look like windows 3.1 "

amersault
September 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
i thought Fedora and Ubuntu looked very polished when i first installed both :P

apart from the buggy WiFi issue, both worked very well and everything i needed to do in another OS environment was doable on the Linux machines.

testLED, does your WiFi card have an Atheros chip? might make life easier for you.

Sealbhach
September 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I see a lot of the small notebooks in stores here in London. The OS is described on the information card as "Linux Lite".

I presume it's Xandros.

ooobuntooo
September 10th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I see a lot of the small notebooks in stores here in London. The OS is described on the information card as "Linux Lite".

I presume it's Xandros.

It's Linpus.