PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] ubuntu not loading gnome

Kinetic_lord
September 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hello! I have a problem with installing Ubuntu on a old computer. The CD works fine (i tested it already)... but when i try to run a live session or to install Ubuntu on a old IBM, with an S3 Trio3D video card, and LG 45v monitor, it doesn't works... at least the graphical interface doesn't cause when i run a live session a windows appears (to configure my display, the LG 45v monitor isn't in the options) and after, the terminal. i can access the folders and files on the terminal, but when i try like: gdk nautilus or something like that the computer says the display isn't working. what can i do? (P.S. no internet from that computer, i can bring stuff only by memory stick and drives aren't recognized anyway)

bumanie
September 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
What's the cpu and amount of ram in it? Ubuntu recommended minmum requirements are a minmum of 384 mb ram, a minmum 7ooMhz cpu. Xbuntu will run on these specs 300 MHz processor, 128mb ram may run, but 256mb would be better.

Kinetic_lord
September 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I need to install Xubuntu then... 250 RAM, 300Mhtz Processor... Will it work without alternate CD?

bumanie
September 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Would probably use the alternate cd. 256mb ram is OK for the live cd, but the 300Mhz cpu is noted as being the bare minimum. Other things to look at could be a different desktop, that is lighter than xubuntu - hmm, something like fluxbox may be worth looking at.
You could also look at puppy linux or damn small linux, they would both run easily on that system.

Kinetic_lord
September 12th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Music works on damn small Linux? that's what we need... does it have any pre-installed codecs, so i won't need to search the internet for them?

halitech
September 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
as long as the sound card is supported you should have music out of the box with DSL. If you want something more like Ubuntu though, try a pure Debian install with XFCE as it will work fine on that system.

I used the instructions here to do the install:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=26566

then the instructions here to speed it up:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=14129

I did this install on an old Toshiba Tecra 550cdt (P266 96meg of ram) and it works great for the age.

Kinetic_lord
September 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM
No internet available... no xfce...

halitech
September 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
they have a precompiled cd you can download from here

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r4a/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r4a-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

snowpine
September 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
You might give Crunchbang a try. It's based on Ubuntu 8.04.1 + Openbox, and it has all of the codecs installed by default. I personally prefer it to Xubuntu for my needs.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Another distro for smaller systems is puppy linux, I hear its quite easy.

Kinetic_lord
September 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
well, still haven't tested it on the IBM, but i tried it on my really old laptop. The installation took only 6 hours in low-memory mode :D. now the problem is i just can't find the damn memory stick when i plug it in x(. I need it for the internet drivers. i just can;t find it in the computer. (On debian i mean)