PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu / VLC bug or a virus?

fdeluda
September 10th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Here is a short story I have to tell before I can ask the question.

A bout a week ago I got quite strange behavior on my Ubuntu box (I'm on 8.04). I was browsing internet (I use Firefox) and a VLC window popped up. The window did not have any navigation controls (like pause or forward) neither it had menu. The program was playing trailers of the recent movies. Guess they somehow have been downloaded but I did not notice that. I closed the window and spent some time to find any traces of what has happened. But looks like I am not good on finding traces yet.

The second part of the story happened the last weekend. I used VLC to play a cartoon for the kids. After it was done and the window was closed my PC shut down together with VLC. Later exploration has shown that the video card somehow was burnt. At least when I plug it onto the motherboard it does not start. When I plugged my really old video card (S3 Virge with 1 or 2 MB of memory :) ) the PC booted and seemed to work fine.

So here are a few questions I would like to ask in connection to this. Can it be a virus? Or this maybe a VLC vulnerability? Is there anything I can do to trace what had finally happened? Is there anything I can read what could guide me or at least show directions?

Thank you in advance for any kind of answer! Googling and thinking about this case for the last few days did not give me any so any help is very appreciated!

handydan918
September 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
From what you have related here, it seems very unlikely that you have experienced anything other than a simple hardware failure. while it may be possible to write a virus that would damage hardware, I think it is much more likely that you just witnessed the death of a video card.
Not to mention the fact that in over 8 years of using linux as my daily desktop I have never had any sort of virus, or any other system compromise besides hardware failures.

billgoldberg
September 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
From what you have related here, it seems very unlikely that you have experienced anything other than a simple hardware failure. while it may be possible to write a virus that would damage hardware, I think it is much more likely that you just witnessed the death of a video card.
Not to mention the fact that in over 8 years of using linux as my daily desktop I have never had any sort of virus, or any other system compromise besides hardware failures.

Yes, that what would make the most sense.