PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you mount a zen ipod?

harryliddic
September 10th, 2008, 03:39 AM
The manual for aramok says to mount an ipod before transfering music. I made two directories one /dev/zen and the other /mnt/zen and tried to mount them but got the error message: not in fstab ot mstab. The zen ipod is hooked to a usb hub running from a port on my computer. There is no mention of it in lshw. Should I hook to one of the direct usb ports? Does anyone know how to edit fstab correctly? Should I take up the piano?

txcrackers
September 10th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Get rid of the directories you made - they won't be used and, no, you don't need to modify fstab. The piano thing is entirely up to you.

Typically, if you plug in a USB device that the system can handle, it'll try to automount it for you. So, yes, try plugging it in directly. Also make sure you have libmtp installed - it's a dependency of Amarok.

(P.S. "Zen" isn't an iPod - it's a portable music player from Creative Labs, whereas Apple makes the iPods.)

Zzl1xndd
September 10th, 2008, 03:55 AM
The Zens are made by Creative and are not iPods. An iPod is an Apple Product, for most creative Zens you need to use the MTP settings.

harryliddic
September 10th, 2008, 04:14 AM
amarok wants preconnect connect command i.e. 'mount %d' and wants a pre-disconncect command i.e. 'eject %d'

Zzl1xndd
September 10th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Do you have the model for the Zen? Just wanna make sure we get the easiest way for you to do this.

harryliddic
September 10th, 2008, 04:23 AM
creative zen 16gb, its black with a video screen and cost about $175

anjilslaire
September 10th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Part of the trick is libmtpfs for the Zens. Check my howto:

http://anjilslaire.wordpress.com/2008/05/16/creative-zen-v-plus-on-kubuntu/

Zzl1xndd
September 10th, 2008, 04:30 AM
:) anjilslaire beat me to the punch, I was just about to post I link to his blog.

anjilslaire
September 10th, 2008, 04:33 AM
:) anjilslaire beat me to the punch, I was just about to post I link to his blog.

Wow, I noticed that that's a relatively popular post (10+ hits per day), but I didn't think people recommended it.

I'm humbled :)

Edit:
Hopefully his 16gig will work the same way

harryliddic
September 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM
aramok is red flagging all my transfers what could be the the problem; they are all mp3's everything when smooth as butter until that

anjilslaire
September 10th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Clear your queue, cleanly disconnect (with the disconnect button) & try again. Ocasionally, I've had Amarok choke on me when transfering files. It may have just been a hiccup.

harryliddic
September 10th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I have seemingly tried everything including your instructions. Could it be that most of this songs come from a mounted windows drive( why am I not in windows doing this? because I am a windows 2000 holdout and the disk that came with zen is XP.)

anjilslaire
September 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM
hmm, that could be. Move a few to a linux drive and try the transfer. That should narrow down a partition issue.

Edit:
Try mounting the NTFS drive as writeable. That may help as well.

harryliddic
September 10th, 2008, 05:42 AM
while I wait til SRV cd is ripped. Could it be that I am using a playlist to fill the queue rather than individual songs. With the windows partiton it is a pointer pointing to a pointer pointing to a pointer etc.

Zzl1xndd
September 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I would bet that is your problem.