PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Synaptic Package Manager Easy Question

RussW210
September 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Can someone tell me what the little ubuntu symbol means next to certain packages in the Synaptic Package Manager? Is that a package ubuntu recommends, a primary package, etc?

alzie
September 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I believe the symbol means the package has been tested and is fully supported by the ubuntu community

ninch
September 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
it just means that it is an offical Ubuntu version of that app.

billgoldberg
September 10th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Can someone tell me what the little ubuntu symbol means next to certain packages in the Synaptic Package Manager? Is that a package ubuntu recommends, a primary package, etc?

I think those are packages the Ubuntu devs made them selfs or adjusted.

I'm not sure about this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "primary package", but you can remove some of them without problems.

RussW210
September 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Thank you.

RussW210
September 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
By primary package I simply meant was it the main file in a download. Maybe the .exe file as opposed to a read document.

jemate18
September 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Thank you.

They are tested or somewhat patched specifically for UBUNTU

OldTimeTech
September 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
They are a package that ubuntu recommends, but not always a primary package. For instance you will find the little symbol next to AbiWord, which is a nice writing package, but so is openoffice.org Word (which is probably more popular). It's depends on what you want to use or try out....doesn't mean that some of the applications without the little ubuntu symbol aren't just as good....have tons of packages to try ;))