PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yikes! Struck by Lightning

jbocean
September 9th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yep, back in mid-July family house struck by lightning, now I'm working on getting replacement computer.

If I want to broadcast internet from a Windows machine w/ cable modem (provided by cable Time Warner) to an Ubuntu/Win-XP dual boot machine, will it matter what brand, type, or (N vs. G), wireless router I get, to make the set up w/ Ubuntu as easy as possible?

I already know to look on the forums for wireless Cards that are supported by Ubuntu, and to be honest I may just hold off until the 10/30/08 release date for Intrepid Ibex, bc I hear that version is supposed to have better wireless support.

But first I need to get a router.
And Yes, we'll be getting a surge protector thing w/ a place to insert cable connection.

Thanks

wolfen69
September 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM
any router will work. it is the wireless card you get that is the most important thing. instead of a basic surge protector, i would get an Uninterruptible Power Supply. (UPS) it saved me a few times.

ubername
September 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yep, back in mid-July family house struck by lightning, now I'm working on getting replacement computer.

If I want to broadcast internet from a Windows machine w/ cable modem (provided by cable Time Warner) to an Ubuntu/Win-XP dual boot machine, will it matter what brand, type, or (N vs. G), wireless router I get, to make the set up w/ Ubuntu as easy as possible?

I already know to look on the forums for wireless Cards that are supported by Ubuntu, and to be honest I may just hold off until the 10/30/08 release date for Intrepid Ibex, bc I hear that version is supposed to have better wireless support.

But first I need to get a router.
And Yes, we'll be getting a surge protector thing w/ a place to insert cable connection.

Thanks

Has it completely fried your computer?

I don't know how I could live without mine until the end of October. Unless you think there are big improvements in computer technology (or, as important, lower prices) get a new computer now and install whatever you like. I don't find it hard to dual boot then upgrade. (Despite what some of my posts might suggest!)

jbocean
September 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks Wolfen on the UPS suggestion !
Debating on whether to replace w/ a newer-type computer w/ Vista or a less expensive model w/ XP. The replacement computer will have to have either MS Vista or XP operating system, since my family doesn't want to switch, and that will be the computer we broadcast internet from.

Yes Ubername, the computer which was the 'host?' for broadcasting the internet was a new 2007 dell inspiron w/ MS Vista, and it was completely fried. Also fried were: a linksys G router, a TV, & cable, air conditioning (the ac motherboard was blackened), and dsl modem (the phone line was burnt at the ends). We were lucky not to have had a fire. We are just now getting things worked out w/ homeowners insurance which is why it has taken so long, and going w/out internet has been VERY frustrating.