PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Old Laptop New OS

fvshaggy
September 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hey all,

Obviously I am new to Ubuntu or else I probably wouldn't be here. I have copied all my specs below and really want to run Ubuntu since I have heard a lot of great things about it. I am taking a class on Linux so it covers almost everything on the CompTia Linux+, but we are only getting started and the teacher seems to prefer Fedora over Ubuntu, we installed Fedora core 8 two times now, and he says he has little knowledge of Ubuntu. Maybe I am wrong but I think I can run Ubuntu fine on my old machine, maybe not. Thats where I need your help. I understand I might not be able to get the best graphics resolution but I really want to try and understand Ubuntu and switch over my Windows Me machine (:() to Ubuntu :). I don't know if its ok to ask if there is a stable version of maybe a different distro that would work better that you could recommend for my beast of a laptop I would be up for suggestions but would ultimately like to run Ubuntu. Sorry for my first post being kind of long just really interested. I took a look at the Ubuntu website and noticed it could run but there are only two types of downloads 64x and the other which would be my catagory, but its only one download unless I am suppose to omit the larger graphical files. Thanks guys and looking forward to the responses and sharing input and insight. Also more specs are available on request. I can pull those up easily.

Compaq Presario 12XL505 470009-467 0F0A
Windows Millennium Edition (build 4.90.3000)

Processor a
767 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

10.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
6.45 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG DVD-ROM DRN8080B [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

188 Megabytes Installed Memory

oilchangeguy
September 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hey all,

Obviously I am new to Ubuntu or else I probably wouldn't be here. I have copied all my specs below and really want to run Ubuntu since I have heard a lot of great things about it. I am taking a class on Linux so it covers almost everything on the CompTia Linux+, but we are only getting started and the teacher seems to prefer Fedora over Ubuntu, we installed Fedora core 8 two times now, and he says he has little knowledge of Ubuntu. Maybe I am wrong but I think I can run Ubuntu fine on my old machine, maybe not. Thats where I need your help. I understand I might not be able to get the best graphics resolution but I really want to try and understand Ubuntu and switch over my Windows Me machine (:() to Ubuntu :). I don't know if its ok to ask if there is a stable version of maybe a different distro that would work better that you could recommend for my beast of a laptop I would be up for suggestions but would ultimately like to run Ubuntu. Sorry for my first post being kind of long just really interested. I took a look at the Ubuntu website and noticed it could run but there are only two types of downloads 64x and the other which would be my catagory, but its only one download unless I am suppose to omit the larger graphical files. Thanks guys and looking forward to the responses and sharing input and insight. Also more specs are available on request. I can pull those up easily.

Compaq Presario 12XL505 470009-467 0F0A
Windows Millennium Edition (build 4.90.3000)

Processor a
767 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

10.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
6.45 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG DVD-ROM DRN8080B [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

188 Megabytes Installed Memory

i'm not going to quote them for you. but you need to go to www.ubuntu.com and read the requirements for the different versions of ubuntu. your old lappy is going to have a hard time running a full featured os like ubuntu.

wolfen69
September 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
188mb ram is really not enough to run regular ubuntu. xubuntu may run, but it will be dog slow. you will need to install something like fluxbuntu, but it is not as user friendly as the other versions of ubuntu. if you can get another stick of ram, i would highly recommend it. you will also not be able to run any of the live cd's with 188mb ram. i would suggest using the alternate cd of xubuntu to start.

linuxlizard
September 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
try pcfluxboxos, tinyme or sam linux. They will all run well on there. And yeah- they are all full featured with thousands of the latest apps available in synaptic. I prefer ubuntu on my main desktop, but I've got a 333mhz with 128 mb ram running pcfluxboxos and it can do anything but video and intense 3d games (by which I mean it runs at a comfortable speed and I can browse the web (opera is very snappy, also firefox 3 is fine), design websites (gimp, bluefish, kompiz all run fine) take care of documents (open office runs fine) and basically anything else that I want to do other than play 1st person shooters and watch youtube. It flies on my 700mhz laptop and it set up my wireless automatically and it's easy to jump onto public wireless access points when I'm traveling. And of course on my 700mhz lappy (with 192mb ram) youtube and many more games work great.

Or you can also run zenwalk or puppy linux on there. These are easier to start with, but harder to add more software too. But for a first time linux user- you may want to give them a spin. Any of these that I am suggesting can be downloaded free, so try them all and see what you like.

fvshaggy
September 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys would it help if i upgraded the ram that much or is it kind of a lost cause running such an old machine. I will look at some of the other options out there as well but I know my options would be limited. If there are any other ideas I would be very open to them.

snowpine
September 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hi there, for a computer that old, using anything in the Ubuntu family is going to be tricky. I think Fluxbuntu *might* work, that would be my suggestion.

There are a lot of other non-Ubuntu distros that are perfect for old hardware, like Puppy, DSL, and SliTaz.

Upgrading your RAM, if possible, would help immensely. Good luck!

knix
September 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ubuntu 6.06 is still available. My brother runs that on a thinkpad with a 450 Mhz PIII and 64 MB RAM.

darrelljon
September 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Basically you need the minimal CD (http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Minimal-Ubuntu-Linux). Have a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=906964) and the link in my signature and let us know how you get on.

snowpine
September 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
ps You could also try Crunchbang using the Alternate Install described here: http://crunchbang.org/forums/topic/crunchbang-linux-80402-alternative-installation

The problem with that is, the system might install okay, but "full" applications like Firefox and Openoffice might be too much. Fluxbuntu uses alternative "lightweight" applications like Kazehakase and Abiword.

gjoellee
September 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
TinyMe is a good OS for your computer.

knix
September 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi there, for a computer that old, using anything in the Ubuntu family is going to be tricky. I think Fluxbuntu *might* work, that would be my suggestion.

There are a lot of other non-Ubuntu distros that are perfect for old hardware, like Puppy, DSL, and SliTaz.

Upgrading your RAM, if possible, would help immensely. Good luck!

Among my Linux explorations (~40 distros...), I tried Fluxbuntu. It ran well, but I couldn't get it to install. it might work now though.
DSL can be interesting to set up once you install if you're new.

the.phantom
September 9th, 2008, 08:07 PM
i have a 600mhz pent 2 and 384 meg of ram

yep i have 8.04 on it, yep it works
but YEP it is slow !!!
and trying to get memory for that old style is expensive now

it is just a test system for me or would work as a emergency backup
as a normal computer. no thank you just way to slow

it did run better on 6.10 was almost acceptable system ;-D

fvshaggy
September 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I am not looking for Ubuntu to be my main application I somewhat understand the different shells? (gnome..etc.) I am/will be using it for testing and playing around with to get familiar with the OS over all. Thanks for the recos guys. Since I am working on my degree in Computer Science maybe I can score some old ram or something for free. Thanks for all the help so far. This is really interesting hearing about the different distros.

snowpine
September 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Playing around with different distros can be very addictive. :) Have fun!

starcannon
September 9th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I really like Fluxbuntu for anemic hardware:
http://fluxbuntu.org/

That said, if one got that laptop up to 256mb of ram it would run xubuntu nicely.

Have fun

linuxlizard
September 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Go back and look at the distros in my post. *Any* of them will work great on your pc as is without additional memory or anything else- and all are just as easy as ubuntu to set up. pcfluxboxos, tinyme and sam are just as full featured as ubuntu and have all the goodies ubuntu has in their repositories via synaptic- just like ubuntu. But they aren't bloated like ubuntu. Any ubuntu spinoff will be much slower than any of those 3- ubuntu is bloated at it's core. I know because I've gotten several old computers up and running for friends and always shop around the distros looking for what makes them go fastest. My latest was set up just this week- fluxbuntu is slooooow compared to any of these.

Give them a spin.

fvshaggy
September 10th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I will go ahead and give these a try and see which one I like the best. Thanks for the input. If anybody has anymore I am always open for more choices.

Iowan
September 10th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I'm still waiting for the DSL mini-disk (that I ordered in April) to arrive. I've tried Puppy, and I have Ubuntu running on some 700-800 Mhz machines (this one happens to be Gutsy on 866 Mhz). Recently put Hardy Xubuntu on 733 Mhz machine - still trying to get it set up to access network printer and Samba shares. Depending on what you want/expect from the laptop, give pick a distro and give it a try.

fvshaggy
September 10th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I think I might try dapper on my computer it looks like it should be able to run.

mikjp
September 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
The amount of RAM is a bit on the low side of the specs, you might try some lighter distribution. Check out my list of ten lightweight distros (http://lightlinux.blogspot.com/2008/06/top-10-of-lightweight-linux_24.html).

mikko

stalkingwolf
September 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I have run feisty on an old dell c600 with 500mh processor and 256 ram.

Another option to try is ubuntu eee 8.04.1. It was built specially for the
Asus EEEPC's (so I hear). I am running it on my eee and my desk top with
a 3gig processor and 1.5 gb ram. It rocks and solved my resolution problem
with my VIA unichrome pro. Soon as I get time im going to try it on the dell.

halitech
September 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
if you want to learn more about how Linux works and also see that machine fly, try a minimal install of Debian then install XFCE with lightweight apps. I have a P3 866 with 256 MB Ram and thats what I did. From power on to Grub takes 20 seconds, from grub to login screen takes 48seconds and from login to desktop is 17 seconds. It honestly seems more responsive then my desktop which is a P4 1.8 with almost a gig of ram

skymera
September 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hello.

My laptop scales itself to 800MHz very often for power reasons, and i had 192MB RAM. (64MB shared, 256MB total)

I upgraded to a total of 768MB (32MB Shared) and Ubuntu runs like a dream.

So a RAM upgrade is a must.

ShakeyJake
September 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I really cant speak about the smaller Ubuntus as Ive never used them. What I can recommend is Puppy though.

No, its not Ubuntu, but it is a very basic, very nice OS. I keep it on an old USB stick and havent found a computer yet that it wont run on.

fvshaggy
September 10th, 2008, 04:37 PM
So ultimately I will be using the same product (linux) just different shells and things right? I wanted to learn more about Linux and thats why I am taking a class on it right now but we move very slowly. I will try to install some today and see how they go. I can always uninstall.

halitech
September 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
the kernel is about the only thing that is the same, everything else can and will vary from slightly (Debian to Ubuntu) or alot(Redhat to Arch) but most will allow you to use similar components for the desktop (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, IceWM, etc) and the commands can vary just as much (apt-get works as far as I know, only on Debian based systems for example) Just do some reading and I'm sure you'll do fine.

linuxlizard
September 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
My vote is they are all about the same- some are just faster and some have lower system requirements and some just do more things automatically and some just have better user support and some have more software that you can install by a few clicks in synaptic or whatever.

Ubuntu is one of the slower (maybe slowest?) linuxes with heavier (maybe heaviest?) system requirements, but the advantage is that it has become hugely popular and has a very user friendly community who use these boards to help each other. There are zillions of blogs telling you how to do things in ubuntu, there is a ton of software in the repos that you can install with a couple of mouseclicks.

But other linuxes specialize in speed and efficiency. I like the pclinuxos spinoffs (sam, tinyme, pcfluxboxos) because you get that speed and efficiency along with thousands of apps in the repos, easy initial setup and configuration and a decent user base.

It's like automobiles- they may have different engines and brand names, but they are all still cars- if you can drive one, you can drive them all, and the more you drive, the easier driving any car become. A mechanic may see a world of difference under the hood, but a driver will click the app he wants and off he goes.

You will use the same software on pretty much any of them. To most people, whether the software installs via rpm or debs makes little difference. Synaptic feels the same when installing the software for either. Open office is always going to be open office, firefox will always be firefox, etc.

That's why I like the ones I recommend- they are fast, they set up easily, they have thousands of apps to choose from via synaptic, and questions can be answered on their message boards.

For that matter, there are many non-ubuntu users on these boards because the answers on ubuntu work on other linuxes oftentimes.

None of this applies if you decide to go with puppy linux or damn small linux (dsl). Both of these are very different from "normal" linux in how they are set up and how you install software, etc. Both can be fun and have their purpose, but if you are trying to learn linux as opposed to just turning your hardware into something useful, I'd choose something else. For that matter- unless you have a specific reason (want to run the entire os in ram or want to have the os on a usb drive for example) I'd steer clear of these anyway- the ones I recommend are just as fast as puppy installed to the hard drive and they do things the "standard" linux way and you have thousands more apps available.

ooobuntooo
September 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
TinyMe is a good OS for your computer.

Stop promoting MS piracy on a Linux forum!

halitech
September 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Stop promoting MS piracy on a Linux forum!

huh?

darrelljon
September 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
TinyMe isn't related to Windows Millenium Edition. Its based on PCLinuxOS.

L8erG8er
September 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
fvshaggy,

I have almost the exact same laptop as you, it's an old Compaq Presario 1200 model 12XL410.

I'm running xubuntu on mine and it's ok, although I have any programs I don't need stripped out of it to maintain any speed at all.

When Hardy came out, I had to upgrade the laptop instead of a fresh install, the old laptop just could not deal with installing from the disk.

It's slow, but xubuntu is small enough for it.

Hope this helps you.

ooobuntooo
September 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM
TinyMe isn't related to Windows Millenium Edition. Its based on PCLinuxOS.

OMG i'm so sorry!
I thought it was pirate windows ME.:lolflag: