PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Spore

Delslayer
September 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
So right now I'm running Vista and Hardy Heron and in Vista I recently installed SPORE. For some strange reason however, when I recently started up Ubuntu I see a SPORE icon on my desktop. Anyone know why its doing this?

Also does anyone know if I could run SPORE in Ubuntu using WINE?

tuxxy
September 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Yes you can to an extent, I beleive it is currently not working above the tribal stage but it may have been improved by now

jordanmthomas
September 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I don't know about Wine, check the Wine AppDB.

As for the icon on your desktop, you've probably left your install disc in your drive.

Delslayer
September 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM

As for the icon on your desktop, you've probably left your install disc in your drive.

Lol why didn't I think of that. thank you.

Also one more quick question; to run it in Wine do I need to install it again to ubuntu or can I just run it off the windows install?

jordanmthomas
September 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
You'd need to install it again.
From the looks of it though, it doesn't run too well.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12614

linuxlizard
September 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
the icon you see in linux is from the dvd still in your dvd drive.

You can only install spore to one computer if I understand rightly, so if you have it already on your laptop in vista, your screwed if you want to install someplace else.

My kids just bought it and have it on xp.

Zorael
September 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Yep, because buying a game doesn't mean you own it anymore.

Gonz_91
September 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Happens to the best xD

Happened to me with the same exact game lol

Delslayer
September 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
the icon you see in linux is from the dvd still in your dvd drive.

You can only install spore to one computer if I understand rightly, so if you have it already on your laptop in vista, your screwed if you want to install someplace else.

My kids just bought it and have it on xp.
Your actually allowed 3 installs with the crappy DRM EA put on the disk so if I really wanted to I could use one of these installs for Ubuntu. But if its not running well yet, I probably wont waste the install.

You'd need to install it again.
From the looks of it though, it doesn't run too well.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12614

That link was for the creature creator and not the full game; not sure if that would make much difference. Also if you read the comments the problem with the full game is that it crashes when transitioning from stage one and stage two. Another comment also stated that a patch would solve the crashing problems and make it run like it were on windows, though I'm unsure of whether or not its still talking about the creature creator.

EDIT:
just found the link for the full version of the game and appearantly it doesn't run that badly with the proper patch. Though it hasn't been tested at the Space stage yet so it seems that it may be better to wait a bit.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=13652

lovinglinux
September 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
For some strange reason however, when I recently started up Ubuntu I see a SPORE icon on my desktop. Anyone know why its doing this?

Is the nature of spores, they are spreading in the wind......ows. :mrgreen:

You can only install spore to one computer if I understand rightly, so if you have it already on your laptop in vista, your screwed if you want to install someplace else. My kids just bought it and have it on xp.

Is this serious? These guys from the "Fellowship of the DRM" are really something else. How far they are willing to go to avoid piracy?

So, if you mobo gets burned like mine did 2 months ago you are screwed?

DrTaylor
September 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I am installing in wine because they'll fix it eventually and I'm trying to wean myself off Windows. It cruised along fine but now it's frozen in the middle of the DirectX install. Anyone?