PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] How can I switch from KDE 3.5 to 4?

sambarluc
September 9th, 2008, 03:38 PM
After a while I decided to give a try to KDE 4 on my Thinkpad T42, and I liked it so much that I would like to completely switch to the new KDE. Anyway, for hard disk space reasons, I would like to delete KDE 3.5 and keep the new one only. Is there any how to? Do you think there may be some limitation?

awakatanka
September 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Think you can better wait till intrepid is ready, then you have kde4 and no more kde3.

Didn't hardy have a remix iso where it installed kde4? If it still exist you can use that one

Zorael
September 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM
That's actually difficult. What I would do is to install KDE4 proper (like you already have) and then go through and uninstall known KDE3 packages until you hit a vulnerable spot and it pulls a whole lot of dependencies with it.

kdm is a given, then there's kwin, perhaps kdesudo, kcontrol, systemsettings, etc. kdebase-bin-kde3 looks interesting, "core binaries for the KDE base module".

Just make sure to review your changes before applying them.

sambarluc
September 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I tried this way, but could free up only little more than 100mb, so I think that I will wait for 8.10, as I do not think 100mb are worth the work...