PDA

View Full Version : [other] On doubleclick, OpenOffice.org always opens a file as untitled document

dominiquec
September 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi, all,

Not really an Ubuntu question but here goes...

My professor bought an Everex Cloudbook-equivalent, which runs Linpus (I know, I wish they chose a better name for it.) He ran into a problem which also had me stumped. The problem:

When he double-clicks a .DOC document on the Desktop, the document opens as expected, but always as a new and untitled document. All the text previously saved is still there, but the information bar says it's "Untitled".

If he opens the .DOC file from within a running OpenOffice instance, then it loads okay.

I'm guessing this might be an OpenOffice problem. Any suggestions what I should look for?

Thanks in advance.

prshah
September 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
When he double-clicks a .DOC document on the Desktop, the document opens as expected, but always as a new and untitled document. All the text previously saved is still there, but the information bar says it's "Untitled".

He may have saved it as a template. In this case, double clicking it will open a new document with the contents of the template. Opening the template through File-Open will open it as a template.

The extension is not important to identify it as a template.

What you should now do is "Save As" the document, and this time, make sure the "Type" is "ODF Text Document" or "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP document"

dominiquec
September 9th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Prshah, I'll have another look at it.