PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Printer Problems

danmeetswood
September 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Last night I used my HP Deskjet 5740 (connected via USB) for the first time to print all sorts of goodies. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, and now it refuses to print. Removing and reinstalling the printer, or cups, or whatever else has done nothing. I've tried printing something from an echo and get the same error. Using gnome-cups-manager, I read that the owner is dan (me) and that the state is "Stopped: job-stopped". Under Properties in gnome-cups-manager, in status it reads "Ready: /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed". I honestly don't know what the problem is, and apparently neither does google. Installing the printer and the drivers is easy and painfree, the same process I went through last night when things worked. Heck, the printer is even auto-detected! But nothing prints and it's a pretty paperweight right now. If someone could help me I'd be very VERY appreciative as I'm using campus printers until then which is a hassle and a half. Thanks in advance.

gjoellee
September 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
try this: http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/install/index.html

danmeetswood
September 8th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Installing it now. We'll see how this goes.

danmeetswood
September 8th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Wow! That worked so well it's ridiculous. Even unplugging and plugging back in and it works like a charm! I honestly can't thank you enough, and if you had seen the look on my face when that printer hummed to life...
Or rather, thank you, that solved my question.