PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installed KDE, now can't use the system at all

blazemore
September 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I thought I'd check out KDE 4.1.1, so I installed kubuntu-kde4-desktop (or whatever it is) on my Ubuntu system.
I set kdm-kde4 as my default window manager.
Now when my system boots up, KDE gives me an error message (something about a greeter, doesnt matter), and when I OK it, I just get a blank screen. Ctrl+alt+backspace doesnt work, neither does Ctrl+Alt+F3 or whatever. I just want to get rid of KDE and kdm completely.

I removed recovery mode from my grub ages ago so I can't even get a command line!

kjohansen
September 8th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Before you login you should be able to change your sessions to use GNOME or whatever other windows system you have, by clicking the sessions button on the log in screen.

The you can do this to get KDE and its apps gone:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

Or are you saying the computer wont even boot to the login screen?

blazemore
September 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have autologin enabled. If I could somehow disable this, I could easiliy take it from there. Is there a way to do this?

benerivo
September 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM
It's unusual not to even get a command line option. To stop auto login, i would load the ubuntu live cd if you have it, so you can edit one of the files on the system. If you can edit
/etc/X11/default-display-manager then you can change the bit that says kdm, to read gdm. I think you might have to run
gksudo nautilus from the live cd so that it allows you to open this file for editing.

When you reboot, it should try to load gdm instead. If you have it installed it will load it. What happens next depends on whether you had gdm set up to auto login or not. If you are unlucky, gdm may just autologin to kde and you're still stuck. If this is the case, then i would edit that file again and change it to a login manager that is not installed, such as wdm. Then it shouldn't load any desktop environment. From here you can
sudo apt-get install wdmand then start wdm with
sudo /etc/init.d/wdm start

slakkie
September 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Boot into single user mode, then

echo /usr/bin/gdm > /etc/X11/default-display-manager

You could also try to run dpkg-reconfigure gdm to reconfigure your display manager.