PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present thread

slux
November 17th, 2005, 12:58 PM
It's still a while before christmas but it's best to start early in order to be able to get all the best gifts. :)

I like to include a bit of free software, Linux and open content advocacy in my presents if it's possible. Ubuntu CDs are a given but I've been looking for other things. :)

This year I'm considering giving among other things:
Darwinia (http://www.darwinia.co.uk/) - Unusual and beautiful indie game that has a Linux version (and can still also be played in Windows), Introversion's previous game called Uplink is a real gem too :)
Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning (http://www.starwreck.com/) - A Star Trek parody DVD that has been 7 years in the making by amateurs. It's available under a Creative Commons license and has already been downloaded over a million times.

Anybody else have these kind of gift ideas? Does advocacy play a part in your selection? I try not to be too invasive with it but still include it somehow. :P

WildTangent
November 17th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Well, this year I'll hopefully be getting a Geforce 7800GTX, as a combined gift from my parents and relatives :D It'll be my only gift most likely, but I think it's worth it. As for gift ideas...I already got both of my brothers their own computers, one's even running Ubuntu! And I'm trying to make one of those digital picture frames for my mom out of an old laptop. Not sure if it'll be finished in time though.

-Wild

az
November 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM
The Open Cd.

quietglow
November 17th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I want one of those system76 laptops!

Too bad I just bought one :-(

dosed150
November 17th, 2005, 06:52 PM
i want a creative zen micro and my parents r gonna get me one yay

cstudent
November 17th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I hoping for an i-pod.

dosed150
November 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I hoping for an i-pod.

which ipod?

ubuntu27
November 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I want to have a new (it dosn't have to be new) computer for MY SISTER who keep bothering "please, I wanna use the comp... " haha :D

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM
stuff I'm giving:

Notably, to my mom, a new, probably fanless, mini-ITX system to use as her web and email 'puter. Running Ubuntu, naturally....

Stormy Eyes
November 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I'm going to give my wife an iPod Shuffle, since I just got one for myself and it works fine on Dapper with gtkpod. Not to mention pajamas and some pretty things to wear when we're alone together.

dosed150
November 17th, 2005, 07:58 PM
yeh shuffles are actually pretty good i dont notice the absence of a screen wen i use my sisters

Stormy Eyes
November 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM
yeh shuffles are actually pretty good i dont notice the absence of a screen wen i use my sisters

Best of all, the 1GB model only costs $130. That's pretty reasonable, IMHO.

cstudent
November 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM
which ipod?

Sam's Club has one for $299. I believe it's 20gb and comes with the Griffith (or is it Griffin?) transmitter.

Bill

dosed150
November 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM
griffin i think oh rite so a 4th gen ipod colour or not?

cstudent
November 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
griffin i think oh rite so a 4th gen ipod colour or not?

Actually, I'm not sure. I should know. Three of the guys I work with have bought one and they have all come to me to show them how to use it. One of the guys let me borrow his one evening so I could try out the transmitter in my car. My old car only has AM/FM and the tape deck is dead. It really sucks, but the ipod worked great with the radio. It would certainly suit me fine. My truck has a nice Pioneer Supertuner III which plays mp3 data disks, but it cost too much in gas to drive it to work everyday.

Bill

az
November 17th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Who's up for sending complete strangers some stocking-stuffers?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=90650

(I know it is unethical to pimp one's own thread, but it's the hollidays, you see....)

ember
November 17th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Hmm ... guess it's very un-geeky, but I'm likely to get a new sweater ;)