PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AVI to DVD

Harpz
September 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and have just started experimenting with DVD to AVI conversion as my 4yr old has got quite a collection of DVD's now, but she also has a nice collection coasters, she has a habit of helping herself to disks sometimes.

Ive been using DVD::Rip to rip the disks and then transcode to AVI. The reason for the transcode to AVI is that i can stream over my network to my MG-35 Media player and have smaller files on the PC.

When i used windows i had no real problems ripping a disk and then converting to AVI, and visa versa AVI to DVD.

My first attempt at ripping in Ubuntu was to Rip a couple of disks i created for her in windows with cartons on, they ripped OK and i was able to transcode the ripped tracks to AVI without any problems and they looked good on the MG-35.

Recently i have tried ripping 2 commercial DVD's (High School Musical 1 & 2) these disks are owned by my partner and she doesn't want them ruined but my daughter has really got into the films.

With both of these films they start to rip and seem to both freeze at the very end (screenshot 1).

According to the log it states 'Rip - title #1' finished but I'm unable to cancel the job or get to Transcode button to light up. I have to close the program and reopen the project.

If i open the created VOB's i can view the entire film from beginning to end, but when i transcode i have found that the beginning is missing or the end.

I have tried AcidRip but the outputted AVI doesn't want to play properly on my MG-35, it jumps and looks low quality. On the computer it looks OK no jumping. Can only presume its the way its encoded the MG-35 dosen't like.

Could some one point me in the right direction please, or supply me with a simple guide of how good quality AVI's can be achieved.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Harisz750
September 8th, 2008, 12:54 AM
try acidrip... it never let me down. and easy to use

rzrgenesys187
September 8th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I use DVDFab HD Decrypter with wine. It's updated often and never had a problem ripping a movie.

Harpz
September 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I use DVDFab HD Decrypter with wine. It's updated often and never had a problem ripping a movie.

will this convert my dvd to avi once i have ripped the files?