PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I'm new here...

SectionThree
November 17th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Hello all---

I'm new to Linux, Ubuntu, and this forum. I "crossed over" from Mac OS X because let's face it, spending $100 a year for a new OS and constantly updating the hardware to support it isn't fun. I've enjoyed getting aquainted to Ubuntu now that I've finished the harrowing trials of installing it (mainly the disk-partitioning bit). Now I throw myself upon the mercy of the rest of you for help in nitpickingly configuring my system to my exact specifications. In return, I offer limited technical support, moral support, snide remarks, and insightful commentary. Shortly, I shall be all over the forum asking a bunch of questions.

Wish me luck!!!!

Oh yeah, the whole "Anarchy" thing sums up my opinion of Linux in general. We're talking about the sort of anarchy that involves a self-regulating community where everyone contributes what they wish and vise versa, not the nihlist, destructive, riots-in-the-streets type

earobinson
November 17th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Good luck!

Kyral
November 17th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Welcome to the family. Its the kind of family that you have no clue how you got into it but you are damn glad we are here :D

quietglow
November 17th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Dude, piece of cake. I'm an OSX convert too (went back to macs for OSX PB). Of all the things that annoyed me recently about Macs, it was the yearly $100 OS feature upgrade which was the worse. Nothing like your end users bugging you with "don't I NEED this update? WHY NOT?!"

Here's some unsolicited advice: everything seems so much easier if you move your window buttons back over to the left side where they belong.

I've attached a screenshot from this morning which shows how I've got things set up.

poofyhairguy
November 17th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Hello all---

I'm new to Linux, Ubuntu, and this forum. I "crossed over" from Mac OS X because let's face it, spending $100 a year for a new OS and constantly updating the hardware to support it isn't fun. I've enjoyed getting aquainted to Ubuntu now that I've finished the harrowing trials of installing it (mainly the disk-partitioning bit). Now I throw myself upon the mercy of the rest of you for help in nitpickingly configuring my system to my exact specifications. In return, I offer limited technical support, moral support, snide remarks, and insightful commentary. Shortly, I shall be all over the forum asking a bunch of questions.

Wish me luck!!!!

Oh yeah, the whole "Anarchy" thing sums up my opinion of Linux in general. We're talking about the sort of anarchy that involves a self-regulating community where everyone contributes what they wish and vise versa, not the nihlist, destructive, riots-in-the-streets type

Tell us your hardware and we will tell you our advice of what to do.

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Funny. You see Anarchy in the GNU world; I see Feudalism.

Lots of little fiefdoms and principalities, all operating more or less autonomously, but dependent on each other to a greater or lesser extent.

SectionThree
November 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks! You all rock!

Okay, here's my hardware:

--iMac 266 mhz with 160 MB of RAM and a 20 GB hard drive
--External Iomega CD-RW (52x32x52)
--External ACOM 60 GB hard drive ($1.00 on eBay ;) )
--HP deskjet 3820

I guess I might have to "bring out the GIMP" and make some cool artwork for the community...