PDA

View Full Version : obvious and blatant abuse of priviledge by a mod

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 03:28 AM
ok so am i not allowed to use the word "sucks" ? or "pissed" ?

take a look at this message:

Dear Saint Angeles,

You have received a warning at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason:
-------
Inappropriate Language

Please use the report button to report violations of the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. It is located on the bottom left. I reversed the infraction since I felt that a warning was appropriate.
-------

Original Post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5740597 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5740597#post5740597)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborc http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5739521#post5739521)
i understand... but it is like slicing your throat and being angry that you die :grin: ... if you get my analogy

right... because trying alpha software is like slicing your throat... thats why everybody who tries alpha software dies? or alpha software never works on peoples' computers?

your analogy sucks. there are people that try alpha software and get it to work!!

i've been doing the alpha thing since gutsy with no problems after alpha 4... and hardy was great too...

the reason i said "i'm pissed" is because i was not expecting this amount of broken stuff at this point. hardy had more new features than intrepid and it managed to work. i'm not really pissed.... just irritated.

and i'm not irritated enough to use another OS
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Ubuntu Forums

this is from a mod named "Sef" and i don't believe there was any reason for this. I recieved 2 warnings for this same post!

i wasn't saying he sucked... i was saying his analogy sucked. did i offend analogies everywhere? his quote was worse than mine (about slitting peoples' throats)

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 03:42 AM
and now i see that my post was REMOVED from the thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5740597#post5740597

i would understand if i had said something like "you suck" but i didn't. i said "your analogy sucks"...

people say this at least 50 times a day on the ubuntu forums but for some reason... i'm not allowed to say the word "sucks"

this is an insane abuse of power. the more i read my post, the more confused i get. in fact, when he said "its like slicing your throat and complaining when you're dead" that was waaaay more offensive than what i said.

my post was an informative post outlining my feelings and replying to an offensive quote. i want to know why i was issued a warning for doing something that many people do everyday.

can i get a reason?

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2008, 04:09 AM
This "obvious and blatant abuse of priviledge by a mod" is an exaggeration.

Staff have the right and the "power" as you put it to this by the code of conduct .

That aside I will consider your request and come back as soon as I can.

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 04:25 AM
This "obvious and blatant abuse of priviledge by a mod" is an exaggeration.

Staff have the right and the "power" as you put it to this by the code of conduct .

That aside I will consider your request and come back as soon as I can.

maybe i went overboard... but thats because i'm extremely upset by this. and i hate when people are given a tiny bit of power and go crazy with it.

replying to his warning did nothing because i don't think he's in his right mind. apparently, by me disagreeing with the person's quote, i was being disrespectful to him.

thats why i went here because i know there are MANY capable and smart mods here that can help me with this better than this "Sef" guy can.

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2008, 04:28 AM
You recieved an infraction that was reversed by the staff member in order to make it a warning.

I agree with this action .

Name calling of staff is not tolerated and I am going to issue an infraction for your post above .

maybe i went overboard... but thats because i'm extremely upset by this. and i hate when people are given a tiny bit of power and go crazy with it.

replying to his warning did nothing because i don't think he's in his right mind. apparently, by me disagreeing with the person's quote, i was being disrespectful to him.

thats why i went here because i know there are MANY capable and smart mods here that can help me with this better than this "Sef" guy can.

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 04:33 AM
You recieved an infraction that was reversed by the staff member in order to make it a warning.

I agree with this action .

Name calling of staff is not tolerated and I am going to issue an infraction for your post above .

ok... so what name did i call him?

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 04:36 AM
and if it was just a warning, why did my post get removed?

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2008, 04:38 AM
We can issue warnings
Issue infractions
Remove posts

We can do all three if need be

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM
We can issue warnings
Issue infractions
Remove posts

We can do all three if need be
yeah...

and i was wondering if its fair to do it for no good reason. also... what name did i call him?

if you read my post i said "there are MANY capable and smart mods that can help me..."

i was COMPLIMENTING the mods here and i got an infraction.

earlier i disagreed with somebody's analogy and got a warning.

ALL i want is a reason and i will stop asking for it.

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2008, 04:44 AM
"...because i don't think he's in his right mind"

"...i know there are MANY capable and smart mods here that can help me with this better than this "Sef" guy can."

These are clearly rude and derogatory

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2008, 04:51 AM
As for your original post that recieved the warning and jailing you may find that this explains
it

From the code of conduct

Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
Respect the forum staff. We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We will occasionally ask for input, but in some cases we will not, please respect our decisions. Also, we do edit for content, if you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the forum resolution center.
Profanity: Remember that the forums are used by people of all age groups and of all tolerance levels regarding profanity usage. When in the support areas of the forum, please try to keep your language polite and courteous and refrain from the usage of profanities. In the Cafe and Backyard areas, mild profanity/swearing is allowed in the context of general speech. Explicit profanity/swearing is not allowed, and under no circumstances will we allow any profanity to be directed toward another person. Please see the Ubuntu Code of Conduct's requirements to "Be Considerate" and to "Be Respectful" and the descriptions given there for more exact specifications. A language filter is in place to catch any profanities that you may have accidentally used. Do not attempt to circumvent the language filter by using variations or slight misspellings of profanities.
Forum Threads and Flaming:

Flaming and condescending messages: Flames are messages that personally attack, call people names, or otherwise harass another forum member (or any person). These, along with any generally condescending posts will be moved or removed at the moderators discretion.
If the thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start an argument or is likely to cause an argument rather than enhance discussion), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion. Any users who continue to post in this manner or engage in other questionable practices, like trolling (posting in an attempt to engage people in arguments) may be subject to more serious sanctions.
If the thread turns into an argument, it can be locked or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going, but that is not always possible

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 04:53 AM
"...because i don't think he's in his right mind"

"...i know there are MANY capable and smart mods here that can help me with this better than this "Sef" guy can."

These are clearly rude and derogatory

well they aren't... in fact, they are quite the opposite. you are totally taking it the wrong way.

this is just amazing...

(please don't give me another infraction because i'm disagreeing with you.)

Saint Angeles
September 7th, 2008, 04:54 AM
As for your original post that recieved the warning and jailing you may find that this explains
it

From the code of conduct

Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
Respect the forum staff. We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We will occasionally ask for input, but in some cases we will not, please respect our decisions. Also, we do edit for content, if you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the forum resolution center.
Profanity: Remember that the forums are used by people of all age groups and of all tolerance levels regarding profanity usage. When in the support areas of the forum, please try to keep your language polite and courteous and refrain from the usage of profanities. In the Cafe and Backyard areas, mild profanity/swearing is allowed in the context of general speech. Explicit profanity/swearing is not allowed, and under no circumstances will we allow any profanity to be directed toward another person. Please see the Ubuntu Code of Conduct's requirements to "Be Considerate" and to "Be Respectful" and the descriptions given there for more exact specifications. A language filter is in place to catch any profanities that you may have accidentally used. Do not attempt to circumvent the language filter by using variations or slight misspellings of profanities.
Forum Threads and Flaming:

Flaming and condescending messages: Flames are messages that personally attack, call people names, or otherwise harass another forum member (or any person). These, along with any generally condescending posts will be moved or removed at the moderators discretion.
If the thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start an argument or is likely to cause an argument rather than enhance discussion), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion. Any users who continue to post in this manner or engage in other questionable practices, like trolling (posting in an attempt to engage people in arguments) may be subject to more serious sanctions.
If the thread turns into an argument, it can be locked or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going, but that is not always possible

the word "sucks" is used in almost every thread in the UF... i really don't wanna waste my time reporting them all, so you should probably put all the threads in the jail right now.

(please don't give me an infraction for stating a fact)

KiwiNZ
September 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Your post in its whole is inappropriate , NOT just one word in it