PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 will not install

juanfran27
September 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hello all,

A few months ago I intalled Ubuntu 7.10 in a partition, In the other one I have Windows Vista. Now I want to delete the Vista partition to only have Ubuntu on my Dell. I thought I could do it by reinstalling a fresh copy of Ubuntu, so I downloaded the latest version. When I tried to install it, nothing happened, the computer screen was just blank. Then I tried doing it with the previous version (the one I had) but the CD would not load, the computer showed the "choose your OS" option - luckily nothing happend to what I had.

I want to get rid of Vista (which I'm not happy with) and use linux. For programs requiring Windows I plan to use Virtualbox with Windows XP.

Thanks In advance for your help.

Happy Saturday.

wolfen69
September 6th, 2008, 08:00 PM
basic question. is your pc set to boot from cd first?

juanfran27
September 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Yes. I pressed F12 to boot from CD.

Bucky Ball
September 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Did you burn it as an iso at 8x or lower and then check the integrity of the burn? If it isn't a bootable disk it will ignore your setting to boot from cd and just boot from the second boot device, not always but does this on my desktop. Silly question perhaps but gotta ask. ;)

juanfran27
September 6th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Did you burn it as an iso at 8x or lower and then check the integrity of the burn? Silly question perhaps but gotta ask. ;)

I did burn it as an ISO, but I didn't see what speed I chose. The CD launches when I want it to. It is when I choose the install option when the screen goes black.

Bucky Ball
September 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
You have gone into the BIOS at boot, set first boot device to CD, inserted the cd, hit f10 to save changes and exit and the computer has restarted, thus booting up from the cd? Not talking about trying to boot it from inside an OS? :-k

kansasnoob
September 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Vista's SP1 s^it will do that to you!

First of all, if you have Ubuntu running just like you like it there's no need to remove it all, other than updating from 7.10 (Gutsy) to 8.04 (Hardy).

Can you even boot and run the live CD by choosing "run Ubuntu without changes"?

Zzl1xndd
September 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Have you tried the Alternate CD, I find when I have these kinds of issues it normally works without any trouble.

juanfran27
September 6th, 2008, 08:25 PM
You have gone into the BIOS at boot, set first boot device to CD, inserted the cd, hit f10 to save changes and exit and the computer has restarted, thus booting up from the cd? Not talking about trying to boot it from inside an OS? :-k

No, i'm not booting from the OS. I restarted the PC. When the Dell screen appeared, I pressed f12 (indicated in top right corner) to go to boot options. I chose the CD/DVD drive, with the CD in. The "Start screen" for the Ubuntu CD was shown, I had several options, such as trying with Live CD and installing the OS. I chose to Install the OS. The Kernel loaded and then the screen went blank. I let it sit there for a while but nothing would happen.

juanfran27
September 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Have you tried the Alternate CD, I find when I have these kinds of issues it normally works without any trouble.

The alternate CD? You mean the 7.10 CD? I did, but the CD screen does not load.

Zzl1xndd
September 6th, 2008, 08:29 PM
When you download Ubuntu there is normally a check box that says download Alternate CD, It uses a Text installer instead of the normal one. For me 9 times out of 10 it works when you have issues like this.

juanfran27
September 6th, 2008, 08:38 PM
When you download Ubuntu there is normally a check box that says download Alternate CD, It uses a Text installer instead of the normal one. For me 9 times out of 10 it works when you have issues like this.

Text based Installer? Sounds scary for a linux noob like myself.

Zzl1xndd
September 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it, its much like the Windows installer for XP so if you can handle that you can handle this.

kansasnoob
September 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Text based Installer? Sounds scary for a linux noob like myself.

Can you boot and run the live CD environment?

deb_untu
September 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
No, i'm not booting from the OS. I restarted the PC. When the Dell screen appeared, I pressed f12 (indicated in top right corner) to go to boot options. I chose the CD/DVD drive, with the CD in. The "Start screen" for the Ubuntu CD was shown, I had several options, such as trying with Live CD and installing the OS. I chose to Install the OS. The Kernel loaded and then the screen went blank. I let it sit there for a while but nothing would happen.

could you see the cursor blinking ?

kansasnoob
September 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM
When the Dell screen appeared, I pressed f12 (indicated in top right corner) to go to boot options. I chose the CD/DVD drive, with the CD in. The "Start screen" for the Ubuntu CD was shown, I had several options, such as trying with Live CD and installing the OS.

Have you tried "trying with Live CD"?

Honestly you're making it impossible to help you!

Bucky Ball
September 7th, 2008, 03:05 AM
As was mentioned, the alternate install cd is easy if you can install windows. Same as the Ubuntu Live or desktop version, just without the disco colours! \\:D/

juanfran27
September 7th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Can you boot and run the live CD environment?

No.

could you see the cursor blinking ?

Yes.

Have you tried "trying with Live CD"?

Honestly you're making it impossible to help you!

Yes, and it won't load.
Sorry, it is not my intention.

As was mentioned, the alternate install cd is easy if you can install windows. Same as the Ubuntu Live or desktop version, just without the disco colours! \\:D/

I will try it. I just downloaded the alternate install.

deb_untu
September 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
No.

Yes.

Yes, and it won't load.
Sorry, it is not my intention.

I will try it. I just downloaded the alternate install.

Try this:
press F6 key on install screen and add vga=771 or 773 as additional option.

I had this problem,so it might work for you too.

technotitclan
September 8th, 2008, 07:34 PM
how old is the sys, your cd drive could be dieing. try a windows install cd and see if it does the same thing

juanfran27
September 9th, 2008, 01:54 AM
SOLVED. For reasons I do not know, the image was not burned correctly on the CD. I repeated it at x8 and it worked. I'm runnning Hardy since last night.

Bucky Ball
September 9th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Excellent news, juanfran27. Thought it must be something like that, or as mentioned in a previous post, a hardware issue. Could you go to 'Thread Tools' and mark this thread as solved so others may reference it.

Enjoy! And don't forget to post if you have anymore probs. \\:D/