PDA

View Full Version : Composing Music

jfhutton
September 6th, 2008, 07:27 PM
My wife is a choir director and is looking to do some music notation. While I have done a little poking around, Muse Score and NoteEdit didn't seem to be very intuitive to use. Have some more things to try, but I thought I would test this forum.

There are several how-tos on doing acutal audio composition in Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio, etc), but this is not quite what I'm looking for.

What I would like:
- Music Notation software which supports
- 4-6 staff composition (SATB + right-left hand piano)
- Simple note entry
- Future input through MIDI keyboard
- Finished printing capability

While I'm starting to think that we could try to do audio entry into something like Rosegarten for piano and all of the voices and then see if that would be able to give me actual sheet music (she makes learning CDs for her choirs as well, so it wouldn't be wasted work), that is not where I'm hoping to go today.

Any ideas?

lyceum
September 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
RoseGarden?

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

V for Vincent
September 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I think rosegarden is what you're looking for.

MadsRH
September 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I've been using an older version of Finale, witch runs just fine under Wine.

I love open source, but I can't live without Photoshop, M$ Word2007 and Finale ;-)

//MadsRH

smartboyathome
September 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scorewriters) for a list of what I think you are looking for (scorewriters). Personally, I think Denemo looks like the easiest to use.

UbuWu
September 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
NtEd is very nice and new features keep getting added all the time, I think it supports most features you mentioned. It is in the ubuntu repositories but a more up to date version is available from the website at http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml (look for the debian package)

loell
September 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have the latest Nted in my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~loell/+archive), :)

or you can just install this package ( for hardy heron)

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17041344/nted_1.0.6-1%7Ehardy1_i386.deb

UbuWu
September 8th, 2008, 02:36 PM
What I would like:
- Music Notation software which supports
- 4-6 staff composition (SATB + right-left hand piano)
- Simple note entry
- Future input through MIDI keyboard
- Finished printing capability

For nted, currently 4-6 staff composition is no problem. Note entry is as simple as it could be, point and click. Midi input is planned but not yet implemented. Printing is possible although it is very basic, probably better to export to lilypond and print from that.

matdombrock
September 9th, 2008, 06:14 AM
You might get better answers in the Multimedia forum, but i would recommend Rosegarden.

Bucky Ball
September 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I love open source, but I can't live without Photoshop, M$ Word2007 and Finale

Try The Gimp (Photoshop), OpenOffice (MSWord). Different GUI but that is about it.

Very experienced with music notation software (currently doing a bachelor of music and writing for orchestra, but have been composing and using music notation software for years) and I hate to say this but ... Sibelius is unbeatable and the only thing I use my Windoze boot for. Doesn't run well under wine and Sibelius 5 not at all. Nothing open source comes close. :(

If you don't require playback of instruments or voice (one thing the open source community lacks - at this point - is some serious and complete soundfonts), Muse Score is as good as it gets. Rosegarden is actually for recording (Linux equivalent to ProTools, Cubase etc) and incorporates Lilypond, the music notation component. Rosegarden per se is not a music notation editor. And like its Windoze counterparts, the notation component is not quite up to it (IMHO).

But having said all that, you might find something that fits the bill for you. You could always run windoze virtually from within Linux.

:)

MadsRH
September 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Try The Gimp (Photoshop), OpenOffice (MSWord). Different GUI but that is about it.

You said it yourself - "Nothing open source comes close."

//MadsRH

smartboyathome
October 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM
I have the latest Nted in my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~loell/+archive), :)

or you can just install this package ( for hardy heron)

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/17041344/nted_1.0.6-1%7Ehardy1_i386.deb

Loell, can you get NtEd 1.3.0 in your PPA? That'd be great. :)

Smartboy

loell
October 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
Loell, can you get NtEd 1.3.0 in your PPA? That'd be great. :)

Smartboy

done. :)

Crafty Kisses
October 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM
I've heard RoseGarden is pretty solid, I'm not sure but Audacity might be good too if you want to edit music and what not.

smartboyathome
October 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM

Fantastic! Thanks loell! :D

UbuWu
October 2nd, 2008, 11:27 PM

Thanks (btw. version name is wrong: 1.0.30 instead of 1.3.0)

Oh and 1.3.1 is out ;-)

loell
October 3rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
Thanks (btw. version name is wrong: 1.0.30 instead of 1.3.0)

Oh and 1.3.1 is out ;-)

uploaded and version bump corrected. ;)

Bucky Ball
October 3rd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Loell, I installed Nted to try it out and couldn't find it anywhere, including the terminal. What am I missing? Is it just called 'nted'?

* Update: Don't bother, found it! Just having a look. :)

mondoUNC
October 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I've found Rosegarden to work well for most of my composing needs, Its easy to edit music as a score, but you can also edit your notation as midi.

smartboyathome
October 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Well, loell, NtEd 1.4.1 is out! Now I can change the scale so that if I want my music to be on one sheet, it can be! :D

I also have a problem with your NtEd debs. I can't get my music to play on Ubuntu from inside NtEd. I have to export it as a midi and then play it in Totem to get it to work.

loell
October 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well, loell, NtEd 1.4.1 is out! Now I can change the scale so that if I want my music to be on one sheet, it can be! :D

I also have a problem with your NtEd debs. I can't get my music to play on Ubuntu from inside NtEd. I have to export it as a midi and then play it in Totem to get it to work.

updated to 1.4.1 :)

have you check timidity configuration? since that will mostly be the sound backend for nted.

smartboyathome
October 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I got NtEd to play now loell. It seems that NtEd is dependant on Timidity to play, which in turn needs jack up in order to output any sound. After installing jack and configuring it according to this howto (http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/05/29/how-to-configure-jack-in-ubuntu-studio/) (which works on a standard Ubuntu), with just a change to the Frames/Period from 128 to 512 so that there wasn't any flickering, and then starting up timidity with this command using GNOME's run dialog (starting it in a terminal renders that terminal useless because it never ends, even with an & at the end of the command):

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Oj -s 44100
I can get music to play with aplaymidi with the first port it outputs (for me it is 128:0). To get NtEd to work, just open it up, go to configure > configure midi, and then select the port on which aplaymidi was able to play.

ace214
October 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I've actually contemplated learning Lilypond because of the lack of notation editors that I liked.

Two advantages I see to this:
1) Platform independent, software independent: If I'm working on any machine with a text editor, I can work on the score. I may not be able to see it until I can use the program, but at least I can input notes
2) May be faster: I can type a c''4 a lot faster than I can scroll to that C and use whatever number a quarter note is. That is if the program has keyboard entry and isn't just mouse.

The only problem is, I don't really have the time during the school year to learn it...

ADD: You know what would be wonderful? An online Lilypond converter. Upload your .ly file and download the pdf... Like that mediaconvert website.