PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron 1525 Wireless trouble, SOLVED EASILY!!!

ostamb
September 6th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I wanted to start a new thread here regarding an issue that a lot of people like me, being new to Linux & Ubuntu, have been having... getting a wireless connection working!!! In the beginning, I installed Ubuntu for fun, just to try it out. It seemed neat in a lot of ways, however, I couldn't get the wireless working. I started reading through all the posts, and the solutions inevitably involved using terminal commands. Well, being new to Ubuntu, I didn't even know where to type in these DOS like commands!!!

Finally, I discoverd the terminal under Applications-> Accessories-> Terminal. Then, not knowing what any of these commands meant, I started trying everything in the posts and nothing worked for me, and it all seemed too overwhelming and I went back to using Windows... until I discovered that Dell had starting selling laptops preloaded with Ubuntu, and that I could download an .iso image of the whole thing from http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/hardy/iso-images

So, I tried again... and same thing. No wireless!!! However, here is how I solved the problem, EASILY, after many many hours of searching through posts after posts. All I had to do was hook up a wired connection to the internet and download all the recommended updates (as seen from an icon in the top right corner of the screen). It was quite a large update that took a while, but when it all finished, I rebooted, and guess what started working? YES, THE WIRELESS!!!

That's my little Ubuntu journey thus far. I hope this post helps all Ubuntu newbies out there like me who are having the same problem that I had!

Cheers :)

maruchan
September 7th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Nice sleuthing work. :) I found it handy to add a terminal launcher to my top panel. You can right-click the panel, click "add to panel," then choose "application launcher" and find the Terminal application. It's very convenient. Deskbar is awesomely convenient too - I set it up so you can press CTRL+Space and type "term", and it'll show the terminal launcher.