PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] File System Full!!!

2uRcJQ34G1
September 6th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hello,
I am a fairly new Ubuntu user, and its great! But I have encountered a problem. My File System is full. When I open Synaptics Package Manager i get this error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

When I run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a', I get this error:

dpkg: failed to write status record about `libgtk2.0-common' to `/var/lib/dpkg/status': No space left on device

I cannot update either. Now what do I do?

TransitMan
September 6th, 2008, 01:00 AM
How do you have your partitions set up, and how much hard drive space have you devoted to Ubuntu?

More information on this so we can help.

drs305
September 6th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Please check out the "Trash Full" link in my signature line. It is possible you have unemptied trash in either your local trash bin or in root's. The tutorial instructs you on how to find and delete it.

You can quickly check you disk space with:

df -Th

lukjad
September 6th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Also try:

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get autoclean
This may give you a bit more room. To get to the terminal go to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and then copy/paste these commands.

jemate18
September 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Hello,
I am a fairly new Ubuntu user, and its great! But I have encountered a problem. My File System is full. When I open Synaptics Package Manager i get this error:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

When I run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a', I get this error:

dpkg: failed to write status record about `libgtk2.0-common' to `/var/lib/dpkg/status': No space left on device

I cannot update either. Now what do I do?

you should type first

sudo dpkg --configure -a so that it will be fixed(the one which was interrupted)

2uRcJQ34G1
September 6th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Ok,

so now I have with apt-get clean and autoclean, I have exactly 6.8 MB free. I have 3Gbs for root and 30 Gbs for the user. The user folder is hardly full since I have not started to use Ubuntu on a daily basis yet. Although my File System is full. But this still is not enough. Can someone tell me how to clean my Cache. Furthermore, tell me how to re-configure my partitions to avoid this dilemma in the future?

Thanks for the help!

nhasian
September 6th, 2008, 02:54 AM
only 3 gigs for the filesystem? yikes! boot off the liveCD and then use gparted in the system/admininstration/partition editor to resize the filesystem. you need to do it from the live cd, because you cant resize a partition while its mounted.

2uRcJQ34G1
September 6th, 2008, 02:57 AM
what would be a good size?

drs305
September 6th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Ok,

so now I have with apt-get clean and autoclean, I have exactly 6.8 MB free. I have 3Gbs for root and 30 Gbs for the user. The user folder is hardly full since I have not started to use Ubuntu on a daily basis yet. Although my File System is full.

Did you look at your trash bins? Run these two commands. When nautilus opens, highlight the "Trash" folder and delete it:

gksu nautilus ~/.local/share/
gksu nautilus /root/.local/share/

cmat
September 6th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I find 10 or so gigs to be safe. But the more the better.

Zack McCool
September 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I usually break it down a bit more than you did, but here's mine, then my recommendation for you...

My Partitions:

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 ext3 11G 3.5G 6.2G 37% /
/dev/sda2 ext3 137M 46M 85M 36% /boot
/dev/sdb1 ext3 193G 121G 62G 67% /home
/dev/sdc1 ext3 74G 59G 11G 85% /mnt/backup
/dev/sda3 ext3 28G 173M 27G 1% /tmp
/dev/sda5 ext3 5.6G 1.2G 4.1G 23% /var
/dev/sda6 ext3 83G 53G 26G 68% /vmware
/dev/sdb3 reiserfs 174G 90G 85G 52% /torrent

My tmp is a bit oversized. I expanded it a lot when it filled on me once, but it doesn't need to be nearly THAT large... ;)

Sticking with your plan, here's how I would do it:

/ = 8GB
swap = 1.5x RAM
/home = remaining space

var and tmp need some room. var holds all your logs, tmp runs things like the print queue. Since you are running everything on one partition, you want to make sure they have enough room, including some breathing room. If you have the space, I'd go even a bit larger, or split things off more. If splitting things up, give /var at least 4GB, and /tmp should have 2-4, imo.

As for cleaning space now, I can't really give you much help on that. you could try cleaning out some old logs, or maybe there is junk in your /tmp folder...

2uRcJQ34G1
September 6th, 2008, 03:09 AM
how do i run the live cd? Everytime i restart with the cd in the tray it gives me the same dual boot menu.

nhasian
September 6th, 2008, 03:14 AM
i can help with this one as well :)
when you boot your computer, you need to get into the BIOS. depending on your computer, it may be DEL, or F2 or something. it should say during bootup. There are a lot of options in there, so dont change anything if you dont know what your doing. There should be a boot options or something similar where it shows for example a floppy drive, HD, usb
, etc. make sure that the CD-rom option is listed above the HD so it boots off the cd first. then you can boot off the live cd.

i think you had a smaller HD, so 8-10 gigs should be fine for the filesystem.

how do i run the live cd? Everytime i restart with the cd in the tray it gives me the same dual boot menu.

2uRcJQ34G1
September 6th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Also, how do I clean my tmp, just delete everything here?

2uRcJQ34G1
September 6th, 2008, 03:17 AM
ok so now i am booted from the disk. Thanks!

2uRcJQ34G1
September 6th, 2008, 03:21 AM
All right, so now that I have the installation going on. I go through the normal process until I reach the partitioner right? And then I manually repartition.....

nhasian
September 6th, 2008, 03:22 AM
when you boot off the live cd, just use the option to try ubuntu without making any changes to the hard disk. dont install it again or you'll overwrite your data ! then after its loaded you can use the partition editor.

djschlotte
October 29th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I'm having a similar problem. I've gotten an error message saying my file system is nearly out of space. I've tried deleting the trash's, but that does not seem to have made a difference. Is there a possibility to delete old versions of programs, or logs or something? If so, how would one go about finding these things? Thanks.

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 ext4 5.6G 4.9G 397M 93% /
none devtmpfs 2.0G 348K 2.0G 1% /dev
none tmpfs 2.0G 752K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
none tmpfs 2.0G 196K 2.0G 1% /var/run
none tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /var/lock
none tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda4 ext4 223G 117G 96G 55% /home

*just in case the above info helps.

sofasurfer
October 29th, 2010, 06:54 AM
And I found that it appears that there is no trash folder in 10.04.
gksu nautilus /root/.local/share/ shows nothing.

drs305
October 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM
And I found that it appears that there is no trash folder in 10.04.
gksu nautilus /root/.local/share/ shows nothing.

If the Trash folder is missing from that folder it probably means that no 'root' trash has been created yet. Once something is deleted by root, the Trash file will probably appear.

daviddwd
June 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Ok,

so now I have with apt-get clean and autoclean, I have exactly 6.8 MB free. I have 3Gbs for root and 30 Gbs for the user. The user folder is hardly full since I have not started to use Ubuntu on a daily basis yet. Although my File System is full. But this still is not enough. Can someone tell me how to clean my Cache. Furthermore, tell me how to re-configure my partitions to avoid this dilemma in the future?

Thanks for the help!

What if it says all 30 gig full but the hard drive partition has 137 gig free?