PDA

View Full Version : Where things are going

wabble
November 16th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I have been a Windows user all my life, from DOS (QDOS, qick and dirty operating system, hell yeah!) to Windows XP (just as dirty haha!). I don't know all the ways around a linux operating system or anything like that. But i have managed to make it work for me instead of fighting it. I know technical information that works on both operating systems and i have a brain. So i was thinking.. Linux is the future of computing. Why not get to know it? And now my next computer will be without a oem license from (the unwanted black sheep, sorry) Microsoft.

As i see things. The industry is changing. And where will it all go?

Well for one. Have a look at games and where they are played.

You now have the Xbox and the Ps2, but soon the 360 and Ps3 will be knocking on our doors if not knocking them down.

Will people still play games on their computers (not talking about tomorrow morning here)? Sure. But the majority of games, i think will move on to the consoles. I my self have stopped playing advanced games on my computer for a whole year now. I use a modified xbox for amusement (games, movies, surfing the web). The only games i play on my computer are games like civ3 and atanks during travel.

So what i am thinking is, i can't be alone on this.

I was realy tired of windows, what my operating system made me do, what i had to do with problems, securing it and what i had to accept from it.

When you buy the windows operating system. Enter your licence code during the install. Activate your copy of windows. And then have to verify it. Something is really wrong as i see it. I see this process as what you go threw when arrested and going to jail. Treated like a criminal.

This alone makes it easy to say "enough!" (Thats what i did)

So here i am. A free operating system with software. I installed it. Everything works (well, almost) a fue tweaks and it's good (Thanks to the ubuntuforum.org and people posting their complete machine configurations for their laptops on the web (running all kinds of linux distros).

Lots of what i knew from windows is there waiting after a linux install (microsoft will ban all software open sourced on their os soon, im sure (just kidding). Firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, Videolan, vnc, xchat and gaim. Free alternatives to photoshop is also there. I am good to go. I know this from windows (one can think). So now one has a good starting point for evolving in linux.

So what is stopping people from using another operating system? As long as you don't want to play games made for windows machines it sould not exist any reason any more. All but one (or more). People, Companys and Manufacturers.

As more and more software that is open source makes it way to the windows platform people will notice. They may try this free software before going buying or downloading cracked versions of other software and find out that it works great.

And then when they buy their next computer, will they say i want windows when they can cut their costs and install something else?

I will buy a laptop with nvidia graphics (i think ati drivers really suck on linux, their loss (my opinion) or maybe intel gma 900 if it comes to me buying a new thinkpad now)

So what i was thinking is that Ubuntu linux is a good thing. Linux is a good thing. I think more and more will think like me as time goes by. I think we (the users of a gnu/linux operating system) have a winner.

What should companys be thinking? Well, delvelopment (god damnit)! If all the companys in the world started thinking of paying/sponsoring developers they can run their applications on linux instead, and its free. A new edition comes when the company sees a need and then develops it. And they can develop it them self.. They dont have to wait for a new version. This could be on windows also (paying someone to develop), but in a company you often have a database and your own software tools. Why not use a free base wich you can develop further as you see fitting your needs?

This ended up a bit messy i think, but it says what it is supposed to. I think a revolution is coming. Sorry about spelling errors, A bit weak on writing english.

So, thanks everyone :D

Rackerz
November 16th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Weak English? Are you joking! Lol, and i agree pretty much with all that you said there. When using Linux i don't feel like im fighting to get things working, they just work. As Linux develops it will become more and more inviting to other normal types of users. Im no genius but i have common sense and common sense is really all thats needed at the moment to run Linux, well maybe a few tutorials along the way ;). But i agree there is a revolution, it might not come now or in the next 3 years but it will come.

bonzodog
November 17th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I agree with the games thing. It seems that PC games are becoming harder to obtain, and all the most recent ones are for the consoles, especially here in Ireland. I went into a computer/vidoe store the other day and their PC games rack has about 25 titles on it now- all discount titles as well. But they have expanded the Playstation and XBox sections to half the store. I asked the manager and he told me that they are phasing out PC games in the store as they don't sell as well.
Also, Our branch of 'Game' is reducing it's PC games radically.
I think PC's are primarily going to be Internet terminals and Office use in the future.

BWF89
November 17th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I stopped buying PC games because I knew they would just make it harder to switch to Linux.

That and the fact that I have a PS2 and can run emulators on my Dreamcast.

panickedthumb
November 17th, 2005, 01:49 AM
The one thing that will keep me on PC games-- FPS. I can't play FPS on a console, it just feels wrong.

xequence
November 17th, 2005, 01:59 AM
The one thing that will keep me on PC games-- FPS. I can't play FPS on a console, it just feels wrong.

Yea, you cant mouselook on an xbox :)

I prefer PC games to console. So much choice - You can get extra maps (thousands out there for UT!) and mods, which you cant do on consoles. Also on consoles you are restricted to a controller. On the PC you can use all 100+ keys, a mouse, or any gamepad you want.

BoyOfDestiny
November 17th, 2005, 02:02 AM
I like to run console games (well old ones) and old pc games on my pc. Read as I like to use emulators.

shade11
November 17th, 2005, 02:06 AM
I can just emulate them. It is hard for e to find an emulator for Consoles most times on Linux, but it is worth it.

BoyOfDestiny
November 17th, 2005, 02:08 AM
I can just emulate them. It is hard for e to find an emulator for Consoles most times on Linux, but it is worth it.

I think it will get easier as some of the devs move to linux. You can even find a few posts by pagefault here (of zsnes fame). At least it seems it's him.

I would like to see a few more emu's in the official repos. advancemame would be nice.

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Consoles have never, and probably will never, have decent strategy games. Ever.

Civilization and the Total War series will keep a windows partition in my future, until the developers of those two series port them to Linux--not bloody likely.

I have little use for consoles except for the FIFA series. I might be the only person in the world left who thinks that there should be a FINAL fantasy, and then it should end. Abruptly.

wabble
November 17th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Yea, you cant mouselook on an xbox :)

I prefer PC games to console. So much choice - You can get extra maps (thousands out there for UT!) and mods, which you cant do on consoles. Also on consoles you are restricted to a controller. On the PC you can use all 100+ keys, a mouse, or any gamepad you want.

If you have a look ahead i don't think this will be an issue. The xbox uses plain usb with a different connector but you can make or buy a usb converter for it. As for maps. If you have a modded xbox it makes things easyer, but i think the plans for xbox live are that you can buy extra maps and so on. I use something called kai xlink where you use the system link feature instead of xbox live. With that peace of great software i can play against who i want to for free.

Mods for games on consoles will get bigger i think. Why would ms put a bigger harddrive in it if not to tamper with it (ok maybe they are not that happy about this), add content and so on.

wabble
November 17th, 2005, 06:46 AM
I like to run console games (well old ones) and old pc games on my pc. Read as I like to use emulators.

I run those emulators on my xbox ;)

wabble
November 17th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Weak English? Are you joking! Lol, and i agree pretty much with all that you said there. When using Linux i don't feel like im fighting to get things working, they just work. As Linux develops it will become more and more inviting to other normal types of users. Im no genius but i have common sense and common sense is really all thats needed at the moment to run Linux, well maybe a few tutorials along the way ;). But i agree there is a revolution, it might not come now or in the next 3 years but it will come.

I had a fue glasses of wine when i wrote it, and realy. My writing english skills arent that good :rolleyes:

Well a business as i see it. When you are a large corporation, you can't keep on defending the costs of installing a ms flavour os when you can get even supported linux distributions (the ones that you get the distro for free and have to pay for support, if you need it). A large corporation should have it's own it department (anyway) so they sould not have that big a need of support.

Happy that you agree with me ;)

BoyOfDestiny
November 17th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I run those emulators on my xbox ;)

Cool. The xbox is a PC in my book though :)

wabble
November 17th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Cool. The xbox is a PC in my book though :)

Well the xbox is a pc after some modifications. And it's a cheap one.

Pentium 3 (i think) processor, 64 mb ram, 8 or 10gb ide harddrive, dvd rom (with a rare powercord).

Carbon Copy Man
November 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Consoles have never, and probably will never, have decent strategy games. Ever.

Well, I have found a couple before, though they're completely different from the kinds on computer. Also completely turn-based and single-player.

But I guess it's only a matter of time until they manage to develop a way to replace the mouse on a console. I don't think people want to use a mouse with a console, but the new Nintendo controller shows that there's room for some creativity.

FPS & Strategy will be ruled by the PC for a while longer, but hopefully there'll be an alternative to Windows sometime soonish.

wishyjr
November 17th, 2005, 02:24 PM
hey, i agree with a lot of whats been said and i do believe that consoles will eventually take over gaming as a whole (obviously with a few exceptions). Theres really no reason gamers should not be able to use a mouse and keyboard with a console esp. with the newer machines coming with USB etc. - i think it just comes down to the developers.. again. much in the same boat as linux versions of games i feel. :)

btw, im an xlink user too!! wabble, whats your xtag? im [MF]wishy - a game sometime perhaps? :) www.misfits-clan.com

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Well, I have found a couple before, though they're completely different from the kinds on computer. Also completely turn-based and single-player.

But I guess it's only a matter of time until they manage to develop a way to replace the mouse on a console. I don't think people want to use a mouse with a console, but the new Nintendo controller shows that there's room for some creativity.

FPS & Strategy will be ruled by the PC for a while longer, but hopefully there'll be an alternative to Windows sometime soonish.
Only a matter of time before the consoles take FPS as well. Consoles deliver more bang for your hardware buck, and FPS games are notoriously hardware-intensive.

Strategy games are never going to succeed on the console, though. Even with the average age of console gamers rising slowly, the console gaming demographic is less literate and less patient than the demographic who enjoy good strategy games. The high costs inherent in developing a "decent" (read: lots of eye-candy) game make strategy games unattractive to the big game studios, who tend to focus on the profitable twitch-game genres.

Malphas
November 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
People have been saying that PC gaming will become extinct and consoles will completely take over for decades now. It'll never happen.

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM
People have been saying that PC gaming will become extinct and consoles will completely take over for decades now. It'll never happen.
Except that it *is* happening. The marketplace seems to be deciding increasingly that consoles are where it's at. All the major development money is behind them, and the profits are to be had there.

wabble
November 17th, 2005, 02:47 PM
hey, i agree with a lot of whats been said and i do believe that consoles will eventually take over gaming as a whole (obviously with a few exceptions). Theres really no reason gamers should not be able to use a mouse and keyboard with a console esp. with the newer machines coming with USB etc. - i think it just comes down to the developers.. again. much in the same boat as linux versions of games i feel. :)

btw, im an xlink user too!! wabble, whats your xtag? im [MF]wishy - a game sometime perhaps? :) www.misfits-clan.com

My tag could only be wabble (i think) ;) I can't say i am verry active there these days but i will shout out if i see you. Cheers.

wishyjr
November 17th, 2005, 02:50 PM
i dont know about extinct, but i certainly feel that consoles will be come the main gaming platform/medium. sure, theres always gonna be a hardcore scene and pc gaming will always be 'ahead' of console gaming as pc machines evolve quicker and more fequently.
But dont you think that consoles have 'generally' caught up to an extent? games on xbox360 and ps3 seem to look alot closer to current pc games (quake4 for example) than they did even only 5 years ago. Add to that the target audiance, pricing between the two machine types and the types of games released for the various formats and to me it seems logical where things are going.
dont get me wrong- i love playing games on my pc. but i think that things are changing already.

wabble
November 17th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I'm not saying that. But the majority of gaming will be on the consoles is what i think. Think about how kids grow up these days. Playing games on their computers or their consoles?

So again. In the long run games will move over to the consoles, i think.

graabein
November 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM

It would be great if you emu-guys could write up a wiki on zsnes and amiga and all of those. I am having problems running all of them except zsnes? :(

BoyOfDestiny
November 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM
It would be great if you emu-guys could write up a wiki on zsnes and amiga and all of those. I am having problems running all of them except zsnes? :(

We should indeed. :) I may do that... although I don't really have any amiga stuff to test... but I guess back to the roots has a lot of stuff. (Google bttr, I think all their copyrighted material is with permission, but not 100% so won't link it here)

Unix Amiga Delitracker Emulator
http://zakalwe.virtuaalipalvelin.net/uade/

If you like amiga music, I made a deb of uade (for breezy).
http://www.safaribans.com/gpl/uade_1.03-1_i386.deb

It includes a beep plugin and the standalone commandline version)

P.S. I have a reasonably new zsnes cvs build here: http://www.safaribans.com/gpl/
Things like Star Ocean and Top Gear 3000 are playable. Also, supports .jma's. Unlike the one in the ubuntu repos... which is about 3 years out of date... :(

wabble
November 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Sorry Magnum PI :D , i have absolutely no experience on the emulators under linux.

But i am sure that alot of other people here in the forums can help you.