PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WiFi now not working

ThePurplePimple
September 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,
This is a case of if it aint broke - don't fiddle. I used dapper drake no problem, it detected all my hardware, set up the wifi card parameters and never had a problem with the internet for years. Upgraded to hardy heron and things were not working properly. So downloaded an iso at work and did a new install. Much better. However, I cannot find the wifi card in the network manager and I cannot find a device manager to check its installation, so no internet. It is a generic card with a realtek chipset, and I do have the windows drivers. I expect I am missing something obvious but don't know what. Can someone, using simple steps for a novice, please help me get my wifi card recognised in networking?
At the moment I am wishing I had stuck with Dapper Drake but I expect it will be worth it eventually.

sjv123
September 6th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I have a ZyXel G-302 v3. It uses the realtek rtl8185 chip. After much struggle, it still does not work. Before I bought this card, I checked online for compatibility, apparently it is supposed to work.

I have ndiswrapper installed with the xp/w2k driver from realtek. I can see my AP, but cannot connect. I have nearly 100% signal strength.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04, with current updates. I can connect to my AP with my XP laptop.

I have followed many of the forums but so far none of the "solutions" have worked.:(