PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] XPS M1330/Wireless-N question

pimbeto
September 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying an XPS m1330 and I will most likely be dual booting, so I would like to know if the wireless-n cards offered by Dell (either Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card or the Dell Wireless 1505) work with Ubuntu 8.04.

I noticed that preloaded Ubuntu systems are only offered with the Intel 3945, however I think it would be a shame these days to get a new laptop with a wireless-g card.

Also if it does not work out of the box, then is there a way to make wireless-n work? ndiswrapper maybe?

Thanks in advance.

pimbeto
September 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
up

thorcik
September 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
hi there,
I don't know about the dell card but I assure You, Intel one works perfectly out of the box, even the LED turns on ;o) However, I don't know about the N-speed as I have no possibility of checking it.

Mau
September 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Intel wireless works out of the box.

Everything else works for me as well (suspend, etc) in integrated graphics.

avpap
September 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Ndiswrapper is your only choice! Install ndisgtk the gui of ndiswrapper and after that the bcml5.inf driver from the Dell website. After the driver is installed and the hardware is present I suggest to uninstall network-manager and install wicd. It's amazing and easy to use. This setup works like a charm in my XPSM1330 wit N-Wireless.