PDA

View Full Version : Fun "Beans" Redistribution Idea

vikramaditya
September 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM
When a member is (ahem) "retired" from our ranks, it would be a hoot if that ex-member's bean total could then be awarded by contest to someone else; kinda like the way ancient warriors would sometimes compete for a fallen comrade's goodies. You could call it a "BeanBag", or "BeanBlast", or somesuch silly name. The game could be a simple one, like guessing a number, or as twisted as you please. Plus, it would harmlessly add an extra layer of ignominy to the offending ex-member's legacy.

Any thoughts?

Oldsoldier2003
September 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Who wants burned beans added to their sack? There actually is a literal reason behind the old saying about one bad apple spoiling a whole bushel :)

Elfy
September 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
and what about people who lose their beans accidentally - you want to steal them as well, you are not having my old beans, if I can't have them neither can anyone else :lol:

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
When a member is (ahem) "retired" from our ranks, it would be a hoot if that ex-member's bean total could then be awarded by contest to someone else; kinda like the way ancient warriors would sometimes compete for a fallen comrade's goodies. You could call it a "BeanBag", or "BeanBlast", or somesuch silly name. The game could be a simple one, like guessing a number, or as twisted as you please. Plus, it would harmlessly add an extra layer of ignominy to the offending ex-member's legacy.

Any thoughts?

No, then you'd have mods banning people for their beans ;)

We'd be like ancient warriors killing people for their goodies.

Elfy
September 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I did wonder ... :)

rune0077
September 5th, 2008, 06:49 PM
In the spirit of Marx, I suggest we take steps against this "concentration of beans" amongst the more active members of the forum. I call for a fair redistribution of all beans, that all members may share and enjoy an equal amount of beans regardless of their status on the forum.

Oldsoldier2003
September 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Lol- ban him and take his beans!

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM
In the spirit of Marx, I suggest we take steps against this "concentration of beans" amongst the more active members of the forum. I call for a fair redistribution of all beans, that all members may share and enjoy an equal amount of beans regardless of their status on the forum.

Never took you one for a massive controlling government type of person...

I'd prefer no regulation and let it work out naturally.

Oldsoldier2003
September 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Does that mean we can't ban him and take his beans? :/

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM

No, that means we can if we choose to and are willing to deal with the possible consequences. The only thing that stops us is ourselves, not some ruling authority.

rune0077
September 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Never took you one for a massive controlling government type of person...

Instead of government, we need mutual agreement. Those who stubbornly insists on clinging to their beans, must be banned, not by centralized control, but by community-agreement, and their beans taken from them by force.

You have to many already (and don't even get me started on LaRoza). I will donate my beans to those more needy than me, provided I get to keep what little I need for myself.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Instead of government, we need mutual agreement. Those who stubbornly insists on clinging to their beans, must be banned, not by centralized control, but by community-agreement, and their beans taken from them by force.

That doesn't work once the community is more than 2 people (alright, in a very like minded society, you could possibly get up to a thousand, but it would be unstable)

And, why must their money/beans by taken by force? Do you know that crabs are kept in open containers and they don't escape because they are constantly held back by each other? (I heard that somewhere, and having seen large barrels of crabs, it seems to be true).

Think of it as a field to forest growth. Noone dictates height. It is governed by ability and nature.

Oldsoldier2003
September 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Think of it as a field to forest growth. Noone dictates height. It is governed by ability and nature.

And chainsaws!

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
And chainsaws!

Think of humans as the evil government/"other people" wanting to exert its power.

cyberdork33
September 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Think of humans as the evil government/"other people" wanting to exert its power.

but people are really just another part of nature... a heavy-handed part maybe, but a part of nature none-the-less.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
but people are really just another part of nature... a heavy-handed part maybe, but a part of nature none-the-less.

Look around, do you believe those Induhviduals are part of "nature"?

cyberdork33
September 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Look around, do you believe those Induhviduals are part of "nature"?

Just like I can build an object that could destroy me, nature could build objects that destroy itself. Bringing about one's own destruction is part of nature. Think darwin.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Think darwin.

Think "doesn't work like that". ;)

pp.
September 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
In the hope that you'll all share and share alike, I'll put my beans into the pot.

sisco311
September 5th, 2008, 08:50 PM
just give me the beans

lowstand
September 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ah we should each earn our beans more fun this away if you just gotta have a big bag O' beans :)

cyberdork33
September 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Think "doesn't work like that". ;)

sure. If you create your own destruction, you get a darwin award. If you are smart enough not to destroy yourself, you survive. You are the fittest!

Now, let's get rid of the pesky trees.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Now, let's get rid of the pesky trees.

Never heard of that variety.

What type of tree is a Pesky Tree?

Elfy
September 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Piskies live in them.

cyberdork33
September 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM
What type of tree is a Pesky Tree?
All of them

vikramaditya
September 6th, 2008, 02:51 AM
and what about people who lose their beans accidentally -
Victims of accidental bean depletion should have nothing to fear. Only those whose misconduct in the forę has resulted in dishonorable dismissal would lose their beans.

No, then you'd have mods banning people for their beans ;)
For the very reason you suggest, I never intended that those who function as officials within the forę would be eligible to compete. Rather, their satisfaction would derive from authoring the terms of contest, then gleefully observing from high Olympus as the pathetic mortals below struggle for a place in the sun.

In the spirit of Marx, I suggest we take steps against this "concentration of beans" amongst the more active members of the forum.
In the spirit of Darwin, I say let the beans fall to the fittest. There is no artificial moderation in natural selection.

And chainsaws!
Yes. Preferably, Stihl or Husqvarna.

In the hope that you'll all share and share alike, I'll put my beans into the pot.
Since it would appear that you are currently embarrassed for beans, your noble sacrifice makes a hollow sound.

just give me the beans
No. You must best your peers in savage combat, from which none but yourself emerge with the beans.

LaRoza
September 6th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Since it would appear that you are currently embarrassed for beans, your noble sacrifice makes a hollow sound.

Embarrassed?

http://agileproductdesign.com/blog/images/inigo.jpg

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk&feature=related

vikramaditya
September 6th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Embarrassed? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
While the usage has fallen from favour in the English language, a gentleman of Victorian times might have remarked to his contemporary, "Kind sir, a crippling degree of financial embarrassment currently precludes my ability to replenish the beans you so generously loaned me.".

"Embarrassed" could mean "Without", or "Bereft of".

In the modern era, one might simply say, "Dude, you're SOL.".

LaRoza
September 6th, 2008, 04:05 AM
While the usage has fallen from favour in the English language, a gentleman of Victorian times might have remarked to his contemporary, "Kind sir, a crippling degree of financial embarrassment currently precludes my ability to replenish the beans you so generously loaned me.".

I haven't heard the word employed in that manner.

vikramaditya
September 6th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I haven't heard the word employed in that manner.
Nor are you likely to, as only a pompous churl with delusions of godhood such as myself would use it in that context nowadays. :)

Canis familiaris
September 6th, 2008, 06:16 AM
You can all take and share my beans.
I would love an Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans under my username.

LaRoza
September 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM
You can all take and share my beans.
I would love an Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans under my username.

When you get 3500, you can get it.

Besides, you have about a month's worth of beans. Not work taking.

Canis familiaris
September 6th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Besides, you have about a month's worth of beans. Not work taking.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr........

pp.
September 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Not nearly as hollow as the pot. When will you start filling it?

vikramaditya
September 6th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Not nearly as hollow as the pot. When will you start filling it?
'snot up to me. :)