PDA

View Full Version : What serach engine?

kneewax
September 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Like most of the connected world I have been using Google as virtually my only search engine for nigh-on 10 years - Before that I used Altavista for sometime and even flirted with Yahoo in the early days. Google seem to me to still be one of the most comprehensive searches, although if I remember rightly the main reason I switched to them was for the clean interface. Back in the late 90's I used to have to wait so long for all the ads and extras on Yahoo's home page to load up over my 56K connection!

As Google grows and gets more liberal with our data I wonder who folk here prefer to use as their search engine of choice?

DO you still stick with the big G? Or have you found another that satisfies your need for information better?

kpkeerthi
September 5th, 2008, 08:43 AM
msn! :biggrin:

vishzilla
September 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
g

armageddon08
September 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Big G's the Big Daddy of all Search-Engines.

kaboodle_fish
September 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
If privacy is a concern then my understanding is that ask.com would be a good search engine of choice

NovaAesa
September 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Google! YAY!

Northsider
September 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Been with Google since 1999.

t0p
September 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM
If google's data mining concerns you, there's a service called scroogle (http://scroogle.org) that might be of use.

Scroogle calls itself a "google scraper" - it submits your request to google, then gives you the results. So if you use scroogle, you're still using google... except they can't gather any info on you.

Sweet... so long as you trust scroogle. And, considering the fact that you have no idea who scroogle actually are: why on earth would you trust them?

mailtwogopal
September 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hi,

Google always makes a difference in their search results and is one step ahead of all search engines. Google user since 2000.

kneewax
September 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Sweet... so long as you trust scroogle. And, considering the fact that you have no idea who scroogle actually are: why on earth would you trust them?

:-D I have to say Privacy is not my concern, tho' I know a few folks who have jumped ship because of big G's EULA. I'm just interested - it seems Google's dominance is not abating - and its quite a trick to stay top dog for so long on the web- just ask Yahoo or MySpace...

I used to quite like DogPile, but got frustrated with the 3 page limit to their media searches. So I am still with Google and it suits me to interface with my blog etc.

Still I wonder how long they can sustain their position...?

t0p
September 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
:-D I have to say Privacy is not my concern,

I'm no privacy nut either. But I am disappointed by google's behaviour in China. And I am aware of the potential for misuse, especially when you consider how many people use google's services and how much info about each person is collected on google's servers.

Yet at the same time I use google as my main search tool. It's set as the home page on my computers' browsers. I do also use the CustomiseGoogle add-on for firefox... but if I really was that concerned I'd boycott google and find myself an alternative.

Thing is, the alternatives are generally nowhere near as good.

conundrumx
September 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Good Old Omnipotent Google, Leading Everyone.