PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] re-installing a whole system from apt

DonQui(Kong)ote
September 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Here's what I want to do:

I want to take my existing installation of ubuntu, and, using its apt-get/command line, reinstall all packages, return all config files to stock, remove all non-stock software, and just generally make it as if I had installed a new system from the CD. How do I do this?

Why I want to do this:

Ever since doing an upgrade to the new version, my X.org has been funny, blanking most of the screen every 30 seconds or so, removing certain widgets and panels but not others, etc. Does this in any window manager. Moving the windows off and then on screen again takes this away, but I don't want to have to do this every thirty seconds.

On the theory that some glitch in the upgrade is causing this. However, my laptop DVD drive is messed up, and BIOS doesn't support USB boot. I want to try this before having to fix my hardware.

manishtech
September 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I suggest you not to do this since the hardware may not be same on both the systems. You can make an aptonCD backup and then restore it on the new system.

DonQui(Kong)ote
September 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
It is the same system. My problems started when I did a dist-upgrade to the latest Ubuntu. I think there were some incompatibilities between the new version and some of the config files, 3rd party software, etc. that I had installed on the old version. So, I want to rebuild 8.04 from the ground up ....