PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Mount CD/DVD Drive after upgrade

klezfire
September 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hello, I am quite new to Ubuntu and all of linux for that matter however I am highly experienced with Windows. Anyways here is my problem... I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 using the Live CD however I couldn't get it to load blah blah blah. So I used Ubuntu 7.10 (Fiesty) to install it on my computer and it was working "ok". My DVD Burner was working at this time. Anyways I proceeded to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 which is installed right now and working GREAT excpept the fact that when I go to use my DVD Drive it says this "Unable to mount location" "Cannot mount file". Any idea to why this isn't working, I have verified my DVD Drive is physically working because I can boot off from the Ubuntu 7.10 Disc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

*Update* Not sure if this helps but if I click on the CD/DVD drive Icon it says "No media".

manishtech
September 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Insert the CD/DVD media in the drive and when it starts spinning, type this command at the terminal and press enter

sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom

Jota37
November 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
Similar problem here... Actually, worse. It stopped mounting USB sticks too.

I have Ubuntu 8.04, which was working fine until some time ago. This week, when I tried to copy some data to USB sticks, none of them would not mount, either automatically or from the command line -- and I have sticks both formatted as ext3 and FAT, but none worked. Same thing at home, with Kubuntu 8.10 (DVD's are playing though, so they might be mounting fine).

I suspect some recent upgrade (NOT of the whole system, but of some part, by the Update Manager) broke this. I'm in the process of searching the fora right now for an answer...

Thanks for your attention!
J

Jota37
November 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM
Insert the CD/DVD media in the drive and when it starts spinning, type this command at the terminal and press enter

sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom

By the way, that does not work for me either. I get "mount: No medium found" as the guy above. And I know the CD is good, it opens fine in a colleague's XP machine, at least.

lurker316
November 23rd, 2008, 04:43 AM
Alright. The DVDs are not mounting for me too. But here is the interesting aspect of it all. I am running a Virtual Machine on Ubuntu 8.10 of Windows XP Pro SP3. The DVD shows up in "My Computer" in VM Windows XP, but cannot mount in Ubuntu natively!?

When I type the command the person above gave.. I get the following message:

mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

I shutdown the Virtual Machine.. Tried the command now and still no Go. Let me try a restart.

I got it working.
Here's how I got the DVD mounted.

*I inserted a standard ISO9660 DVD in the drive. It mounted it successfully.
*I then inserted a UDF 1.02 formatted DVD in the drive. This time it mounted it successfully. Hmm...

yergeht
March 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have this same issue... except that when I type the command sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom I get the same message as the fellow above, klezfire. but the system tells me that I have just inserted a blank dvd and asks me what I would like to do... except that I still can't make a dvd... WTH?

deboh
February 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
for me... i used what the guys said above sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom and it seemed to work, at least i could mount my dvd.

well i dunno, if this works now permanently or i have to repeat it everytime.