View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell M65 sound error, please help!

September 4th, 2008, 12:40 AM
This is my first post! I have actually been doing pretty well being a lifetime Microslow user! But I have hit a wall with sound issues. I think this is different from other users I have read about in the forums. Here is what I have:
Dell M65 (originally XP Pro)
Ubuntu 8.04
Kernal 2.6.24-19-server
Gnome 2.22.3
2 GiB
Processor 0 - Intel Core T7400 @ 2.16GHz
Processor 1 - Intel Core T7400 @ 2.16GHz

I understand it is a Sigmatel Sound card.

When I first installed Ubuntu I had sound and all was well. I did not have the nvidia drivers working well. I went around installing various items from the repository to get everything working. Once I had everything done I noticed I had no sound. I saw a muted speaker icon on the top navigating bar and went to un-mute it but instead got the following error message 'No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.'. I have also tried to use things like VOIP phones, audio player and other applications needing sound and I get errors like 'no audio devices found'.

This seems to be the last 'issue' clouding up an otherwise great experience switching! Can you help?

September 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM
One more piece of info:

When I boot into an earlier install version 16 Generic I get sound (had video issues though), when I load the latest version in my system version 19 Server, I get great everything but just no sound and the error message.

Crafty Kisses
September 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Post the results of this command: