PDA

View Full Version : Forum search rules?

ubuntu1sttimer
September 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Have been trying to find out how to search for a phrase on the forum without any luck.

For example, on most search systems you can use "big fat hard drive" and it will only return hits with 'big fat hard drive' in it. However, when I try that with this board I get all messages that have 'big' and/or 'fat' and/or 'hard' and/or 'drive'.

If you think the last is a mess you should see what that is like when you get upwards of 250 threads with many postings in each one and you have to read each in hopes of finding your item.

Have checked the help sections but found no solution so, what are the the search construction rules for this board.

Oldsoldier2003
September 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
moved to FF&H

Oldsoldier2003
September 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
This site is indexed very regularly by google. In fact new posts often show in search results minutes after they are posted. With this in mind I'd like to state that googles search abilities far far outshine the search module in vBulletin, using google is the preferred method of searching this forums for the vast majority of regular users.

macvr
September 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'd like to state that googles search abilities far far outshine the search module in vBulletin, using google is the preferred method of searching this forums for the vast majority of regular users.

i second that...
search in this forum is horrible

i'v sometimes found that the words i'm searching is listed as not found!
after i'v reduced the words ,found in the 6th search page the EXACT words in my first main search...!!!!!!!!!!!

i was about to start a thread suggesting to improve the forum search,...

its very difficult for new users like me, results are very inconsistent tough to search for solutions when so much other crap is thrown at u!!!!!!!!!

now that i'v realized googling this site is better, will do it hereafter

Elfy
September 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I use these 2 mostly -

http://www.uboontu.com/
http://www.googlubuntu.com/

If you do use google append site:ubuntuforums.org to the search and it will only look here, that said often this site will be near the top anyway

There is also this one -
http://www.google.com/linux

ubuntu1sttimer
September 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I have been trying Ubuntu for a couple years and used this board for most of my efforts to get to the point of dropping Windows. Many times I have given up on a problem when I could not find it via a board search even though I knew that others muct have had it before me. It would have been much easier and had me much closer to the switch if I had only known that I should use Google search rather than the board one.

Lets consider what would happen if using Google was posted on the forum home page along with a link to examples:

1. The casual computer user might find the answer they needed and not be likely to tell all their friend just how hard it is to make Ubuntu and Linux work. That it is only for Geeks.

2. The number of threads and messages on the board would be reduced because users were able to find answers rather than having to create the 200th message on the same subject. Having to do this just gives Windows fans "proof" that Ubuntu and Linux is not really ready for most users. Ie: "Joe, if you are thinking of Linux, go to www.ubuntuforums.org" and see just how hard it is to make work. There are tons of them having trouble. One right after the other."

If you doubt what I am saying, just put this thread back where it started and see how many also would be glad to have known how to find something on the boards.

Not trying to be hard on this but I would guess that I have spent hundreds of hours trying to find things on the board and often either given up or posted a new message on a subject that that has likely has been covered many times before. Most new users will not do that, they will just pitch the Ubuntu live CD and that will be the end of it for them.

Joeb454
September 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I've found often that searching on Google with the query "<my issue here> ubuntu" often brings up the forums first

macvr
September 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have been trying Ubuntu for a couple years and used this board for most of my efforts to get to the point of dropping Windows. Many times I have given up on a problem when I could not find it via a board search even though I knew that others muct have had it before me. It would have been much easier and had me much closer to the switch if I had only known that I should use Google search rather than the board one.

Lets consider what would happen if using Google was posted on the forum home page along with a link to examples:

1. The casual computer user might find the answer they needed and not be likely to tell all their friend just how hard it is to make Ubuntu and Linux work. That it is only for Geeks.

2. The number of threads and messages on the board would be reduced because users were able to find answers rather than having to create the 200th message on the same subject. Having to do this just gives Windows fans "proof" that Ubuntu and Linux is not really ready for most users. Ie: "Joe, if you are thinking of Linux, go to www.ubuntuforums.org" and see just how hard it is to make work. There are tons of them having trouble. One right after the other."

If you doubt what I am saying, just put this thread back where it started and see how many also would be glad to have known how to find something on the boards.

Not trying to be hard on this but I would guess that I have spent hundreds of hours trying to find things on the board and often either given up or posted a new message on a subject that that has likely has been covered many times before. Most new users will not do that, they will just pitch the Ubuntu live CD and that will be the end of it for them.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true
there are so many threads!!! further complicating the searches, its like a vicious cycle!

instead of suggesting an alternate search engine than the forums[which i appreciate has been suggested,though some other site admins wont admit]
why not work on this issue> provide better search engine
if a better search is not possible, atleast set an announcement on all the pages, like the one for malicious codes which is there now, to use other search engines...

would make noob life easier!

schauerlich
September 3rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Try starting all of your google searches with "site:ubuntuforums.org" without the quotes. That way google will only search the forums.

hvac3901
September 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I don't know exactly how it would work, or how you might integrate it with Vbulletin but Google will allow you to use a add free search bar for searching your own website.

If theirs is better why not use it instead of Vbulletin? I don't know if being the intellectual property of Connical would allow this, as you must be non-profit to qualify for ADD-free search bar.

hyper_ch
September 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
in the old version there was a function that when you started typing a topic title for a new thread that you were presented possible other threads also... I miss that feature.

macvr
September 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I don't know exactly how it would work, or how you might integrate it with Vbulletin but Google will allow you to use a add free search bar for searching your own website.

If theirs is better why not use it instead of Vbulletin? I don't know if being the intellectual property of Connical would allow this, as you must be non-profit to qualify for ADD-free search bar.
if this works great
else an announcement like this would make the ubuntu experience better

Try starting all of your google searches with "site:ubuntuforums.org" without the quotes. That way google will only search the forums.
this would atleast make new users[myself too] realize google search of forum is better than a new thread!

LaRoza
September 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
in the old version there was a function that when you started typing a topic title for a new thread that you were presented possible other threads also... I miss that feature.

Yes, but that was unfortunately very hard on the servers and can't be used again (unless we prune users and it is available for this version.)

macvr
September 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
admins... u seriously need to improve the search....

its sometimes irritating to remember not to use the built in search!!!
accidentally,i searched "thunderbird" and check out the crap results !!!

of the first 25 results... ONLY 3 results were related to thunderbird:mad:

Joeb454
September 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
But the other threads will contain the word "Thunderbird" - the term you searched for - at some stage

macvr
September 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM
But the other threads will contain the word "Thunderbird" - the term you searched for - at some stage

that makes no sense, the search engine should have first searched the thread titles, then on not finding the word should have listed the deeper forum search

for eg: the first result is an Argentina team site, ITS NOT EVEN IN ENGLISH!!![http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=849576&highlight=thunderbird]

no one would search for words in the forum, PEOPLE SEARCH FOR TITLES!!! [that is why so many insist on good descriptive titles]

macvr
September 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM
i not sure if the search problem is really a vBULLETIN search engine fault...

i used the search in this sitehttp://www.ictorrent.com/ which also uses vBULLETIN, but search works very well...

maybe that site has fewer threads...
but search in that site, exactly DOES a search first of the thread titles...

the thread title is the topic... anyone would only search for the topic, not random words used in threads

maybe site admins have to recheck the search rules...doesn seem to be a vBulletin error[just my guess]

[I]i like UBUNTU and just want to improve my experience and also would like others to be drawn in as well

cyberdork33
September 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM
The search behavior here has already been discussed quite a bit before.

You should use google. it works much better.

macvr
September 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM
The search behavior here has already been discussed quite a bit before.

You should use google. it works much better.
i thought that this section was to improve the site! that was why i was trying to stress the importance of better IN-site search rules...

felt that as a part of the ubuntu community, that we could better the ubuntu experience!

well if feedbacks are not going to be considered, why bother!!!

cyberdork33
September 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
i thought that this section was to improve the site! that was why i was trying to stress the importance of better IN-site search rules...

felt that as a part of the ubuntu community, that we could better the ubuntu experience!

well if feedbacks are not going to be considered, why bother!!!

Nobody said your suggestions were not going to be considered. I was only suggesting a way that you could get better search results if needed, and to let you know that this is not the first time someone has notified the admins / mods about the funky search behavior here.

P.S. There is no need to shout.

Joeb454
September 17th, 2008, 11:03 PM
It's up to Canonical to improve the servers. There's only 2, and they're not the most powerful of servers either

LaRoza
September 17th, 2008, 11:06 PM
It's up to Canonical to improve the servers. There's only 2, and they're not the most powerful of servers either

Actually, there are 50. I use the other 48.

Joeb454
September 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Well I knew that, but for the forums, there are only 2.

macvr
September 18th, 2008, 04:37 AM
this is not the first time someone has notified the admins / mods about the funky search behavior here.
if it is such a prevalent known issue why dont the admins post a sticky.... jdong has the sticky for malicious commands for nearly a year...
a sticky is something that the admins can do, until canonical increases the servers...

i didnt realize that the search was crappy until recently,[just kept thinking that i was the only one who had problems with ubuntu!]
further more since its a known issue, and search is THE most important for a forum...

admins could have an ANNOUNCEMENT notifying[its not like the we arent bashing the search in the forums, so since search bashing aint a taboo...why not have an ANNOUNCEMENT out]

sorry if this thread has gone too long... was just so terribly pissed at search, had to let it out!!!:)

just wanted my ANNOUNCEMENT idea heard ... seems to have caught a few admins' eyes...they would know what to do... surely they have been here a lot longer
no more rantings from me :)

hope they find the resources to improve this soon...

LaRoza
September 18th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Well I knew that, but for the forums, there are only 2.

I am One with the forum! (Except, I don't go down like it does...)

if it is such a prevalent known issue why dont the admins post a sticky.... jdong has the sticky for malicious commands for nearly a year...
a sticky is something that the admins can do, until canonical increases the servers...

There is. Sticky blindness is a problem.

See sticky in this forum called:

Guide to Forum features ** INCLUDES: Thanking, beans, titles, searching, and more

macvr
September 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM
There is. Sticky blindness is a problem.

ok ... wrong name... i did not mean sticky was actually thinking about >>> ANNOUNCEMENTS <<<
[noone should have to search the threads to find out that search doesnt work, would make it tougher to find especially when the search doesnt work!!!:lolflag:]

Bakon Jarser
September 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
I think the search function works pretty well but I have to go to advanced search and do 'search titles' instead of 'search posts'. This should be the default behavior. A lot of times I go to help people and all it takes is a quick search using this method and the answer is in the first ten threads. Searching entire posts is rarely helpful.

macvr
September 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
I think the search function works pretty well but I have to go to advanced search and do 'search titles' instead of 'search posts'. This should be the default behavior. A lot of times I go to help people and all it takes is a quick search using this method and the answer is in the first ten threads. Searching entire posts is rarely helpful.

exactly... the default setting 'i think' can be changed by the admins

cyberdork33
September 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I actually prefer searching the post contents because post titles are rarely informative to the content of the thread.

macvr
September 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I actually prefer searching the post contents because post titles are rarely informative to the content of the thread.

well the good ones are labeled properly... those are the ones that noobs really need

cyberdork33
September 23rd, 2008, 01:47 AM
well the good ones are labeled properly... those are the ones that noobs really need
yes but it the responses/answers to the improperly labeled questions that I am seeking, not the question itself...

Bakon Jarser
September 23rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
yes but it the responses/answers to the improperly labeled questions that I am seeking, not the question itself...

Yes but most people are searching for answers to common questions. Search should be optimized so that most users, especially new users, can more easily find the answers to their questions. I think searching thread titles should be default behavior and searching posts should be the alternate option. This would also reduce the number of posts you have to search through because not nearly as many people would be starting new threads with common questions.

macvr
September 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM

rarely such posts get good replies![thts y admins insist on proper titles]

cyberdork33
September 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
rarely such posts get good replies![thts y admins insist on proper titles]
Maybe different in your forum, but that is not really the case in the Apple Users forum. Unless a specific "How-To" thread is created, chances are, the thread title is not indicative of the content. (that's what the tags help with to, if they are properly tagged).

I think the problem is that nobody searches before asking the common questions, not that their searches turn up nothing.

Either way, as has been said before, you get much more substantial results if you use google or even something like http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Bakon Jarser
September 23rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Either way, as has been said before, you get much more substantial results if you use google or even something like http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Inexperienced users won't know that. Maybe people do suck at coming up with titles in the Apple forums. I'm not suggesting that the search posts option be eliminated, just that it shouldn't be default. I think the majority of users would get better results with the search thread titles option. I'd be happy if I could at least permenantly make it my default option.

cyberdork33
September 24th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Inexperienced users won't know that. Maybe people do suck at coming up with titles in the Apple forums. I'm not suggesting that the search posts option be eliminated, just that it shouldn't be default. I think the majority of users would get better results with the search thread titles option. I'd be happy if I could at least permenantly make it my default option.
OK, that wasn't the point... I am not trying to argue with you. If you want to suggest it is changed, then fine, but, personally, I prefer it the way it is.

macvr
October 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
this is also a site which uses vBulletin...

check it out... the drop down search menu has a google search too..:guitar:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89400&d=1224787424

cool feature... :guitar: dont know if this possible...