PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Spanish accent letters

G!zZm0
September 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm using Hardy Heron and I want to use spanish accent letters. Similar to Windows' way of doing it, pressing Alt then the ASCII code...Any help?????

Pro-reason
September 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM
I'm using Hardy Heron and I want to use spanish accent letters. Similar to Windows' way of doing it, pressing Alt then the ASCII code...Any help?????

Why on earth would you want to type in memorised codes (some specific to Windows) when you can just type accents directly? Go to the keyboard preferences and enable USA-International with AltGr dead keys.

Edit: if you really want to input memorised codes, you can. Just press Shift-Ctrl-u and then type the code for the character. Note that you must use Unicode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode), not the Windows code.

Victormd
September 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
There's an easier way. Go to SYSTEM>CONTROL PANEL, go to keyboard and ADD a USA layout with variant equal to Alternative international. Now you can add type the characters that you want, i.e., á é í ó ú by typing ' + a (not typed together, but sequentially, type ' then a)and so forth, or ã by typing ~ + a (sequentially). The same goes for the other accents ^ + e = ê. The only trick is for ç which is typed "right ALT + ," (together) then c.

Pro-reason
September 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
There's an easier way. Go to SYSTEM>CONTROL PANEL, go to keyboard and ADD a USA layout with variant equal to Alternative international. Now you can add type the characters that you want, i.e., á é í ó ú by typing ' + a and so forth, or ã by typing ~ + a (not typed together, but sequentially). The same goes for the other accents ^ + e = ê. The only trick is for ç which is typed right ALT + , (together) then c.

That's not better. It makes it harder to input ordinary swung dashes, apostrophes, etc. The AltGr method is better, especially for people who normally type in English.

Victormd
September 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Similar to Windows' way of doing it, pressing Alt then the ASCII code...Any help?????
You can add the USA International keyboard layout under windows as well and type them the same way as I explained in my previous post.

Victormd
September 3rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
That's not better. It makes it harder to input ordinary swung dashes, apostrophes, etc. The AltGr method is better, especially for people who normally type in English.

???

Pro-reason
September 3rd, 2008, 04:43 AM
???

That's not a very intelligent response.

Victormd
September 3rd, 2008, 04:44 AM
That's not a very intelligent response.

I simiply didn't understand your response...

EDIT: On that note, you start your answer to the OP with "Why on earth would you want to..." and then finish off with "That's not a very intelligent response." Please cut back on your arrogance. On my first post, I simply said that it would be easier than the OPs way of doing it. I didn't even see your post before posting mine...

Pro-reason
September 3rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
I simiply didn't understand your response...

No kidding.

EDIT: On my first post, I simply said that it would be easier than the OPs way of doing it. I didn't even see your post before posting mine...
And how is your failure to read things my fault?

Victormd
September 3rd, 2008, 05:03 AM
No kidding.

Seriously? Is this attitude really necessary?

riggity_ryan
November 7th, 2008, 06:07 AM
There's an easier way. Go to SYSTEM>CONTROL PANEL, go to keyboard and ADD a USA layout with variant equal to Alternative international. Now you can add type the characters that you want, i.e., á é í ó ú by typing ' + a (not typed together, but sequentially, type ' then a)and so forth, or ã by typing ~ + a (sequentially). The same goes for the other accents ^ + e = ê. The only trick is for ç which is typed "right ALT + ," (together) then c.

Thanks, I was looking for how to do this.

jjroper
December 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Actually, I have a similar issue. I have a notebook bought in the USA, but I write in Portuguese and Spanish as well as English. To change from one language to another I have already figured out. However, when I switch to Portuguese in Ubuntu, there is no "question mark" on the keyboard. Normally, I would (in windows, I mean, if that is normal) type in the ascii code (Fn-Alt 63 on the number keypad, keyboard in this case, hence the Fn). In Ubuntu, that does not work, of course. So, if I switch to Spanish, I have the question marks as on a Spanish keyboard, but then, I have no c-cedilha (ç), which then means I have to switch back to the Portuguese keyboard. I was just looking up the code in the character map, which is U+003F. But, if I try to type that in, something else always happens (I do mean Ctrl-Shift U003F) that is never what I want.:confused:

Can anybody help me? I would love to just set up a macro to let me have the question mark in Portuguese and then I could just use the keyboard as it is to type in English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Thanks,

Jim

mkvnmtr
December 18th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I have an icon in my top panel and I switch from a USA keyboard to a LAm keyboard. If I can remember how I did it or find the post where someone told me how I will post back. It was very easy to do and just a few days ago that I found the post here in the forums.

mkvnmtr
December 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM
OK i found it. Sorry I haven{t learned to post a link from the forum. It was 6 days ago ant the title of the thread was Change to Spanish Keyboard.
go to systems-Pref--Keyboard. Go to add to panel and you can put an icon on the top panel. I bet you could do it with three languages.

jjroper
December 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
OK i found it. Sorry I haven{t learned to post a link from the forum. It was 6 days ago ant the title of the thread was Change to Spanish Keyboard.
go to systems-Pref--Keyboard. Go to add to panel and you can put an icon on the top panel. I bet you could do it with three languages.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. The question mark is not even ON the portuguese keyboard, because it would have been on a key that does not exist on this Dell Latitude keyboard. It does exist on the Spanish keyboard, but in Spanish there is no ç - and that letter is often used in Portuguese. So, switching rapidly from one keyboard to the other is an inefficient option - but it works....just a lot of extra keystrokes and mistakes get involved.

Jim

bernie51
January 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Didn't work for me. Any idea why? I've been trying to figure this out for awhile. I used to do it this way with Windows. Using Hardy Heron and a Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop.

bernie51
January 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Didn't work for me. Any idea why? I've been trying to figure this out for awhile. I used to do it this way with Windows. Using Hardy Heron and a Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop.

Just figured it out. I should have looked at the link posted.

http://www.debianadmin.com/special-characters-made-easier-in-ubuntu.html

that explains how to assign a compose key.

DavidMP
January 15th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Unfortunately, that doesn't work. The question mark is not even ON the portuguese keyboard, because it would have been on a key that does not exist on this Dell Latitude keyboard. It does exist on the Spanish keyboard, but in Spanish there is no ç - and that letter is often used in Portuguese. So, switching rapidly from one keyboard to the other is an inefficient option - but it works....just a lot of extra keystrokes and mistakes get involved.

Jim

Hi, I use the spanish language keyboard ----> layout = spain to type in spanish, portuguese and french. It has the "ç" above the ENTER key.

David

TomX19
January 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I'm finding typing Spanish characters on a UK keyboard the biggest pain the ar*e going! Like many people I want to TYPE, not keep having to use the mouse. Until today the only way I'd found was to copy/paste the characters using the mouse and the Character Palette toolbar add-on.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 with Gnome desktop (UK keyboard) and have just found the following shortcuts, some more by luck than judgement it has to be said:

¡ = AltGr + SHIFT + !

ñ = AltGR + } (release) + n

¿ = MULTIKEY + SHIFT + ?? (i.e., hit the ? Key twice rapidly)

á = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + a

é = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + e

í = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + i

ó = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + o

ú = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + u

Where I've typed (release) means I release the keys before pressing the vowel key.

Caps are possible if you just hold <SHIFT> and press the letter after hitting the Multikey and the apostrophe, i.e,:

Á = MULTIKEY + ' (release) <SHIFT><A>

I'm still looking for a shortcut for ü, but it doesn't get used very often in Spanish, so I can cope with cut/pasting from the special characters that I've got on my toolbar (right-click toolbar, Add To Panel, Character Palette).

---

My "MULTIKEY" (or Compose key if you will) is assigned to the Right-hand MS Windows logo key under the keyboard settings:

System - Preferences - Keyboard

Layouts tab

Other Options

Compose Key Position

Right Win-key is Compose

I found that my Right Win-key was already assigned.

As I said, I found this with a combination of trial and error and Googling. My fix is specific to 8.10 with Gnome and a UK keyboard, so please bear this in mind if it doesn't work for you! ;) I'd be interested to know if some or any of it works for anyone else. :D

Tom

jjroper
February 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Tom,

It is much easier than this. First, you should follow the instructions in this web site:

Then, you can see one of your choices is to discover or assign keys to the remaining characters that you are unable to get. My specific problem is that I often, within the same document or email, write in more than one language and so I have to remember to switch back and forth. But, if you are writing in one language throughout a document, then you just switch your keyboard to the language you want, and remember which keys go with which characters. On my keyboard in Portuguese the ? was no longer available. By following the information in the above link, I discovered (with the kind observation of one of the writers to the forum) that right ALT and W together gave me ?.

I hope this helps,

Jim

I'm finding typing Spanish characters on a UK keyboard the biggest pain the ar*e going! Like many people I want to TYPE, not keep having to use the mouse. Until today the only way I'd found was to copy/paste the characters using the mouse and the Character Palette toolbar add-on.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 with Gnome desktop (UK keyboard) and have just found the following shortcuts, some more by luck than judgement it has to be said:

¡ = AltGr + SHIFT + !

ñ = AltGR + } (release) + n

¿ = MULTIKEY + SHIFT + ?? (i.e., hit the ? Key twice rapidly)

á = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + a

é = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + e

í = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + i

ó = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + o

ú = MULTIKEY + ' (release) + u

Where I've typed (release) means I release the keys before pressing the vowel key.

Caps are possible if you just hold <SHIFT> and press the letter after hitting the Multikey and the apostrophe, i.e,:

Á = MULTIKEY + ' (release) <SHIFT><A>

I'm still looking for a shortcut for ü, but it doesn't get used very often in Spanish, so I can cope with cut/pasting from the special characters that I've got on my toolbar (right-click toolbar, Add To Panel, Character Palette).

---

My "MULTIKEY" (or Compose key if you will) is assigned to the Right-hand MS Windows logo key under the keyboard settings:

System - Preferences - Keyboard

Layouts tab

Other Options

Compose Key Position

Right Win-key is Compose

I found that my Right Win-key was already assigned.

As I said, I found this with a combination of trial and error and Googling. My fix is specific to 8.10 with Gnome and a UK keyboard, so please bear this in mind if it doesn't work for you! ;) I'd be interested to know if some or any of it works for anyone else. :D

Tom

Big_astur
February 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
but in Spanish there is no ç
Cause you say so? :D

ççççççççççççççççççççççç
ḉçççççççççççççççççççççç

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/trestimil/teclado.png

Other thing is that in Spanish we don't use it, and i guess only in Catalonia they use it. If you like football you may know F.C. Barcelona, aka BARÇA.

Just wanted to say that any Spanish keyboard has that cedilla letter Ç/ç. Just check the picture i linked to know where it is (close to the INTRO-ENTER)

TomX19
February 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
Tom,

It is much easier than this. First, you should follow the instructions in this web site:

That's pretty much what I did, and now I've got quick easy shortcuts which work for me. I think I just managed to make it look more complicated than it is! :oops:

lightstream
September 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
it's an old thread, but for reference, to do the double dot (which is used a lot in German):

AltGr + [ = ü

Rinzwind
September 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM

cool BUT now how do I type an egrave ( è ) with this keyboard.
Since I can now type most dead characters I started using this layout.
I currently use the unicode but those are hard to remember... ( ctrl shift u 0 0 0 e 8 )

Vaphell
September 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html