PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] GoogleEarth on a Dell Inspiron E1405

lariosa42
September 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Hello,
I am fairly new to the ubuntu community and a very happy recent Linux convert from Windows. I have been reading the forums for days now trying to get GoogleEarth 4.3.7204 to run on my Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop. It worked fine on the same machine under XP, but when I open it in Hardy 8.04, the image is so slow and jumpy that I cannot use the program. Other 3D programs, such as OpenArena work beautifully.

I am not sure if the problem is the drivers for my video card, or something else. I am not seeing any restricted drivers under System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers. As for my video card, the output of 'lspci | grep VGA' is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Please help, I love Google Earth, and have been installing libraries, messing with compiz, and reading everything I can find on line for 3-4 hours every day with no luck.

doorknob60
September 2nd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Try Google Earth 4.2.x, there's a link to it on the download page of Gogle Earth. For me, google earth 4.3 doesn't actually show the earth :P It just shows a blank sky...4.2 works fine.

lariosa42
September 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks! It runs much better in 4.2. It's still not perfect, there is some blinking of the screen when I click, and a few other things that didn't happen in XP, but at least it's running smoothly, that's all I need! Thanks again!

lariosa42
November 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm testing out Google Earth on Intrepid. At first Google Earth looked even worse, but when I turned off compiz (System-->Preferences-->Appearance, then choose the "Visual Effects" tab and select "None"), it looks fine. I am still running GE 4.2. I'll post again with an update if I get around to installing the new version, but I'll probably wait until the next major GE upgrade.