PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] freeze when extracting tzdata

reswob
September 2nd, 2008, 01:50 AM
I'm installing on a brand newly built box and my install keeps freezing at the following point: Installing the base system - 28% - Extracting tzdata.

I'm using the following iso: ubuntu-8.04.1-server-i386

Now, I'm hoping I just pulled a stupid. The box I built has an AMD processor so the first question I would ask is: Did I use the correct ISO?

Second, if I am using the correct iso, I was wondering what could be wrong. I've waited over 30 minutes and it's still frozen. I found an old post that said extracting tzdata takes a long time, but over 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance.

manishtech
September 2nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Are you sure you want to install the server version. I would suggest you to use desktop for normal day to day use instead of the server which is meant for something else :D

You really want to set up the server?

reswob
September 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm running desktop already on a different machine. This one will be a file server/print server/possibly DHCP/backup server.

BTW, it didn't change status after 60+ minutes before I shut it off to go to bed...

manishtech
September 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm running desktop already on a different machine. This one will be a file server/print server/possibly DHCP/backup server.

BTW, it didn't change status after 60+ minutes before I shut it off to go to bed...
I still suggest using a desktop version. ubuntu server edition are not as good and polished as desktop ones...

reswob
September 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Argh. Still freezes. I think it's the hardware.

Thanks. I'm going to troubleshoot the build.