PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Opening up a Dell Inspiron 1300

TWO
September 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
Hello

This isn't really an Ubuntu related question, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but...

...I just wonder if anyone knows whether it is at all feasible to open up an Inspiron 1300 and say, add some more RAM or change the processor?

It's not a spectacular laptop at all- and I think they've stopped selling them- so I would like to be able to modify it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance

TWO

knattlhuber
September 2nd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Hello

This isn't really an Ubuntu related question, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but...

...I just wonder if anyone knows whether it is at all feasible to open up an Inspiron 1300 and say, add some more RAM or change the processor?

It's not a spectacular laptop at all- and I think they've stopped selling them- so I would like to be able to modify it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance

TWO

The Inspiron 1300 can be upgraded to 1GB; doing so shouldn't be a problem. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, take it to your local computer store. They may do it for free (or charge you through the nose :))
I don't know about changing the processor but very likely that isn't easy.

dodle
September 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
I helped a friend with an Inspiron 1150 which had a regular socket 478 Pentium 4 processor. As long as it is the same socket (I think all 478s are compatible with 478 boards) you should be able to put a new processor in, but the 478 is becoming rare. Geeks.com still has some that go up to 3.0ghz.

lswb
September 2nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
If the processor is in a socket, you may be able to upgrade it, but many if not most laptops use processors that are soldered to the MB.

Laptop memory and hard drives, OTOH, are generally easier to upgrade than desktops.

TWO
September 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

Admittedly, my RAM is already about 1GB so that isn't too much of a problem.

I would like to increase the size of the hard disk however and change the processor if at all possible.

Am I wrong in assuming that changing the graphics card is impossible?

Thanks

TWO

Bingo Jesus
September 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I recently upgraded my Inspiron 1300 to 2GB successfully, was very painless. I'm also looking to increase the size of the hard disk, how do I find out if the motherboard can support a SATA drive?

master5o1
September 14th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I must question, is this your SECOND ubuntu forums account?
Just because it's "TWO".

I also wonder, is there a "ONE", and will/is there [be] a THREE?

Interesting stuff. :D

TWO
September 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I must question, is this your SECOND ubuntu forums account?
Just because it's "TWO".

I also wonder, is there a "ONE", and will/is there [be] a THREE?

Interesting stuff. :D

I would imagine that there are an infinite number of us...\\:D/

TWO
September 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Laptop memory and hard drives, OTOH, are generally easier to upgrade than desktops.

Really? I thought that the opposite was true...

wizzball
September 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hi there.

I've got an Inspiron 1300 dual booting 8.04 and Windows XP.

I've taken pretty much every single part out of my laptop at one stage or another as I had a problem with the laptop "stuttering." Graphics and sound would stutter constantly and Dell replaced the LCD, motherboard, HDD, RAM, CPU, keyboard and Motherboard before discovering it was the DVD-ROM that was faulty. Wasn't related to reading a disk though.

Anyway, I digress.

I've worked on the inards of Dell laptops for about 6 years now, from the 2001 models all the way up to the 2008 ones. I have to say that the Inspiron 1300 is one of the easiest to replace parts in.

VERY IMPORTANT: I always disconnect power and remove the battery before doing any work on the hardware in case of a short. Leave it for 5-10 minutes before working after removing the battery and power.

It takes less than 5 minutes to crack open the 1300 and pull out the CPU, it's not soldered to the motherboard and has a nice chunky copper heatsink on it. I took mine out to whack on some expensive cooling gel which dropped my CPU temp by about 2 degrees centigrade.

HDD replacement is just as easy. I've upgraded mine to a 160GB Western Digital, by the way, it's an IDE HDD not a SATA. CPU is accessable under the keyboard. Ram is a 30 second job, it's under the plastic cover on the bottom of the laptop, it's got a small picture of what looks very much like a small comb. Wireless mini-pcmcia card is also under a slot at the bottom of the laptop.

For the CPU you need to pull off the cover between the LCD and the keyboard, there should be a small slot on the right side of the cover to insert a flat head screwdriver. VERY IMPORTANT, don't twist the screwdriver, you need to lift till the end pops off. If you twist you'll leave unsightly gouges in your case. Just pop off the end and then slowly lift the cover, supporting it as it clips off the laptop case. Once the cover is off you need to take out 3 screws just above the keyboard which hold it in place. Lift the top of the keyboard (closest to the LCD) and pull towards the LCD. It should come out very easily, beware that there is a thin ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the laptop, if you turn it over you can put the keyboard keys down on top of the wrist rest and touchpad.

Under the keyboard are two silver covers, remove the right hand one by unscrewing all visible screws. I think you also need to remove all the screws in the deep holes under the laptop. These are long screws that go pretty much all the way through the laptop.

Lift up the cover and you'll see the copper heatsink. There are 4 screws on springs holding it in place. Remove these and lift out the heatsink. You'll find theres cooling gunk on the bottom. If you've got some spare you can carefully wipe this away. The CPU is very similar to what you find on a desktop. There should be a lever to unclip it and you need to pull it straight up. Beware of the pins on the bottom, if you bend one you've buggered. You'll need to search on the internet to see what the maximum CPU is. I can't remember offhand. Unfortunately when I looked for an upgraded one it was almost half the price of a new budget laptop from Dell. So unless you can get one offhand I wouldn't bother. Put everything back on as you found it.

Can't think of anything else offhand, but post any other questions you've got.

phenest
September 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Dell manual: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1300/en/sm/index.htm

RAM from here: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%201300

TWO
September 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Dell manual: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1300/en/sm/index.htm

RAM from here: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%201300

Thanks for the links!

I'm still deciding whether to open this thing up or to invest in a new one...

TWO
October 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Whilst we're on the topic of a the inspiron, is it possible for the 1300 to boot from USB?

Thanks

TWO