PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] YouTube videos crash Firefox 3.0.1

dldeskins
September 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Within the past week, I have experienced problems with YouTube videos crashing Firefox 3.0.1 (shuts down). I have problems with other videos (CNN, etc). I can download them with youtube-dl and play them in Totem, otherwise they crash Firefox.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Thanks

nicedude
September 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM
You should install adobe flashplayer 10 as it solved all my flash problems ( flash format is what you tube and many others use ). It is not in the medibuntu repositories yet ( they have ver 9 ) but you can find a hardy deb package via google or look in the forums here for "install flash 10" as I have seen some guides etc on how to do it and a link to the deb package.

Hope that helps and goodluck

gjoellee
September 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
http://kshoster.net/?c=downloads_deb

dldeskins
September 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
OK... I installed v10, but it STILL crashes Firefox. Keep in mind that NOTHING else crashes Firefox, I can play videos from every other site.

I have disabled all other add-ons and extensions with no luck. Any other suggestions?

Masoris
September 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM
OK... I installed v10, but it STILL crashes Firefox. Keep in mind that NOTHING else crashes Firefox, I can play videos from every other site.

I have disabled all other add-ons and extensions with no luck. Any other suggestions?

Check your flash version again. Newest one is v10 rc which was released on 11th August 2008.
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

dldeskins
September 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Masoris,

I had installed v10 from the deb that gjoellee suggested. When I checked synaptic, it said v10 but the browser plugin said v9.XXX. So I uninstalled.

When I followed the link and downloaded the tar.gz. I started installing, but was stuck on the path... the default did not work. What path should i use?

Thanks,

cariboo907
September 2nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
To really find which plugin you got installed in Firefox's address bar type:

about:plugins

It says I have this version installed:

Shockwave Flash 10.0.0 d525

I still get crashes on occasion, but in my case it opens another window and closing that crashes firefox

Jim

cariboo907
September 2nd, 2008, 12:32 AM

I still get crashes on occasion, but in my case it opens another window and closing that crashes firefox. It is a bug in the flash plugin

Jim

dldeskins
September 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM

I still get crashes on occasion, but in my case it opens another window and closing that crashes firefox. It is a bug in the flash plugin

Jim

Jim, Thanks for the info... I got the new version installed (both were installed) BUT that was not the problem.

The real problem was my hosts file. I use it (like a lot of other people) to block bad web sites. The one that I use is from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ . Evedently, YouTube is now using one or two of these sites (richmedia.yimg.com? ts.richmedia.yimg.com?). I commented the two lines out, now the videos will play.

Again, thanks for all the help guys,

Don

bizghetto2
September 16th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Ok so I took the advice that you gave but now when I try to watch videos from youtube they play for the first 2 seconds and then stop......... always for the first 2 seconds nothing further???

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you thank the lord everything works!!