PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How Do I Uninstall Realplayer 11?

r4wj4
September 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM
I downloaded realplayer 11 which was a .bin file. Made that into a executable file(using chmod +x) and installed it. Now I want to uninstall it and there is no entry of it in synaptic(because manually installed). How do I uninstall it...any advice?

I'm a ubuntu/linux noob.

ranjithnair
September 1st, 2008, 06:26 AM
Try this
sudo dpkg -r realplayer
If the above does not work then try removing manually. Realplayer only installs a binary file named realplay, its icons and some more, not a lot. Just type:

locate realplay
Here how u remove it manually:
In Linux, open a Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Console (or Terminal)) and go with the command "cd" to each directory where the file is. Then, to remove it type:
sudo rm -f nameofthefile
If it is a directly then:

sudo rm -rf nameofthedirectory

r4wj4
September 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
I found where its installed...its in /opt/real/RealPlayer. I just deleted that directory, but whenever I right click on a video file it still has the option to play it with realplayer...or whenever you set the file to open with a certain program real player it still a option. The icon still shows under Application>Sound & Video. How to I completely remove it.

"locate realplay" gave me 57 entries of all the reaplyer stuff...do i have to manually remove all of them?

thanks.

r4wj4
September 5th, 2008, 07:24 AM
bump

gonzomalan
September 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM
even though it says solved, i'm going to post my opinion that yes, you need to uninstall each file. and there are many. i am in the process of doing this myself and came across this entry.

JGable98
January 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM
This is what worked for me

sudo dpkg -r realplay 11.0.1.1056

jrusso2
January 28th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Usually .bin files have an uninstall script. Why don't you run that it should be in a directory close to the program which is /opt I think for realplay.

simptechmike
February 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
This is what worked for me

Thanks. This worked for me as well!

juan.manuel.melillo
May 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I found where its installed...its in /opt/real/RealPlayer. I just deleted that directory, but whenever I right click on a video file it still has the option to play it with realplayer...or whenever you set the file to open with a certain program real player it still a option. The icon still shows under Application>Sound & Video. How to I completely remove it.

"locate realplay" gave me 57 entries of all the reaplyer stuff...do i have to manually remove all of them?

thanks.

I did the following in same situation. Be carefull, an error would mean you lost your information. :o

locate realplay | xargs sudo rm -rf

Juan Manuel

eazely
September 20th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Steps at http://eazely.com/archives/tinker/875 worked for me on a 'manual' installation. Don't know if the uninstall scripts are there in a .deb installation though

gchatzim
April 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
THis is the automatic uninstall that what worked for me:

$ sudo -i
# /opt/real/RealPlayer/postinst/postuninst.sh
# rm -rf /opt/real/RealPlayer/

from
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=920171

myhieu
June 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM
sudo dpkg -r realplay

works well on Ubuntu 10.04