PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Really Annoying Timidity Problem

SZ07
September 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Timidity is not using timidity.cfg to scan for soundfonts or eawpats. It defaults to freepats and changing options in timidity.cfg does absolutely NOTHING!

See details in next post

SZ07
September 2nd, 2008, 02:46 AM
I installed and setup timidity and midi files play fine. However, I noticed some instruments were missing so I decided to switch from freepats to eawpats or some soundfont.

Here is where things get crazy. I downloaded eawpats and unzipped it to the correct directories. I opened up timidity.cfg in /etc/timidity and then changed the directory so it would look for eawpats. Well, it didn't work. I then tried to change to a soundfont but same result: timidity was still using freepats.

Then I deleted timidity.cfg and not only was I able to still able to play midis but it was still using freepats! Even more crazy, I deleted freepats.cfg and same thing, midis were still playing using freepats!

It seems obvious that timidity is not relying on timidty.cfg or freepats.cfg.

SZ07
September 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
I figured out what the problem was. Timidity did indeed rely on the cfg files I mentioned. The problem was that I was playing midis through totem and totem doesn't use timidity as a backend. It uses its own midi codec.